On this page
Estimated completion time: 5 minutes
Atlas provides sample data you can load into your Atlas database deployments. You can use this data to quickly get started experimenting with data in MongoDB and using tools such as the Atlas UI and MongoDB Charts.
For a list of datasets in the sample and a description of each, see Available Sample Datasets. Each dataset page contains information on the databases, collections, and indexes in the dataset.
To load sample data, you must have
Project Owner access to the project.
Organization Owner access must add themselves to the
project as a
To utilize the sample data provided by Atlas, you must create an Atlas database deployment to load data into. To learn more, see Create a Database Deployment.
You can load sample data into your Atlas database deployment from the Atlas CLI or the Atlas UI.
Select the appropriate tab based on how you would like to load sample data:
The following table shows the sample datasets available for Atlas database deployments. Click a sample dataset to learn more about it.
For instructions on loading this sample data into your Atlas database deployment, see Load Sample Data.
Contains details on AirBnB listings.
Contains training data for a mock financial services application.
Contains shipwreck data.
Contains planet data.
Contains movie data.
Contains restaurant data.
Contains data from a mock office supply store.
Contains MongoDB training services dataset.
Contains detailed weather reports.
When you load the sample data, Atlas creates the following namespaces on your database deployment:
If any of these namespaces already exist on your database deployment when you attempt to load the sample data, the operation will fail and no sample data will be loaded into your database deployment.
The Get Started with Atlas tutorial walks through setting up an Atlas cluster and populating that cluster with sample data.
- Get Started with Atlas Search
- Create an Atlas Search index using data from the sample_mflix sample database and run queries against the movies collection in the sample database.
- Atlas Search Tutorials
- Set up and query an Atlas Search index. The Atlas Search Tutorials section contains many tutorials to take you through the steps of using Atlas Search. You can learn about everything from How to Use Autocomplete with Atlas Search, to How to Run Atlas Search Queries with a Date Range Filter, or How to Run Multilingual Atlas Search Queries, and more. Many of these tutorials use the sample_mflix sample database.
The following MongoDB Charts tutorials guide you through visualizing sample data provided by Atlas:
- Visualizing Order Data
- Visualize the Sample Supply Store Dataset, which contains sales order data from a mock office supply company.
- Visualizing Movie Details
- Visualize the Sample Mflix Dataset, which contains data on movies and movie theaters.
To visualize data in MongoDB Charts from the Atlas UI, click Visualize Your Data when viewing a specific database or collection. Charts loads the data source and you can start building a chart in the Charts view. For detailed steps, see Build Charts.
The following MongoDB University courses and trainings utilize the sample data provided by Atlas.
- M001: MongoDB Basics
- MongoDB Basics is designed for learners brand new to MongoDB.
- M121: The MongoDB Aggregation Framework
- Learn how to use MongoDB Aggregation Framework in your application development practices.
- M220J: MongoDB for Java Developers
- Learn how to use MongoDB as the database for a Java application.
- Learn how to use MongoDB as the database for a Node.js application.
- M220P: MongoDB for Python Developers
- Learn how to use MongoDB as the database for a Python application.
- All In-Person Training
- Get quickly ramped on MongoDB with comprehensive private training programs for developers and operations teams.