Backup and Restore Sharded Clusters
The following tutorials describe backup and restoration for sharded clusters:
cannot be part of a backup strategy for 4.2+ sharded clusters
that have sharded transactions in progress, as backups created with
mongodump do not maintain the atomicity guarantees
of transactions across shards.
For 4.2+ sharded clusters with in-progress sharded transactions, use one of the following coordinated backup and restore processes which do maintain the atomicity guarantees of transactions across shards:
- Back Up a Sharded Cluster with File System Snapshots
- Use file system snapshots back up each component in the sharded cluster individually. The procedure involves stopping the cluster balancer. If your system configuration allows file system backups, this might be more efficient than using MongoDB tools.
- Back Up a Sharded Cluster with Database Dumps
- Create backups using
mongodumpto back up each component in the cluster individually.
- Schedule Backup Window for Sharded Clusters
- Limit the operation of the cluster balancer to provide a window for regular backup operations.
- Restore a Sharded Cluster
- An outline of the procedure and consideration for restoring an entire sharded cluster from backup.