Social and Collaboration Apps facilitate interaction among a group of users, often in the form of online discussion, comments and likes, as well as records of user activity like a workout or a visit to a restaurant. These apps include public and internal social networks, consumer cloud services, tools for collaborating on projects and documents, and online dating services.
With Social and Collaboration apps, organizations:
- Improve customer engagement, like UnderArmour’s MapMyFitness application for sharing workouts.
- Drive revenue, like Foursquare’s social check-in mobile app.
- Empower the workforce, like Cisco’s Webex Social application.
- Agility. Facebook pushed code twice a day. This is the pace of innovation users expect.
- Diverse Data. Social and Collaboration Apps capture myriad data types by definition, like comments, photos, geospatial data, check-ins and others -- and doing that in a single data store is hard.
- Scalability. An internal corporate app may support hundreds or thousands of users. But a consumer cloud service or collaboration tool may grow to attract millions of users -- like Foursquare. The database must support a user base of any scale.
- Dynamic schemas in MongoDB make it possible to adapt your app and database in tandem and strive for the twice-daily Facebook release schedule.
- Documents in MongoDB are flexible so you can capture comments, photos, geospatial data, check-ins and anything else all in one place.
- Rich query language, indexing and analytics make it easy to serve up the right data to the right user at the right time.
- Horizontal Scaling allows organizations to support as many users as needed. Foursquare, for instance, has over 30M of them.
Your Partnership with MongoDB
Bring your Social and Collaboration applications to market faster with lower effort, cost and risk with MongoDB Enterprise. Through consultative, proactive support we partner with you from development to production. Take advantage of management tools, zero-downtime upgrades, disaster recovery, enterprise-grade security, OS certifications and on-demand training. Contact us to learn more.
Jon Hoffman, foursquare
Biren Gandhi, Cisco