I’m looking for an alternative to Firebase since I’ve come to a point where Firebase no longer support my needs. MongoDb has the following that I need:
- Offline first
- Text Search
- Aggregate pipeline
- More than one inequality queries
- OR queries
So I’m doing a bit of research on the power of MongoDb Realm that will work with my Flutter/Dart application. I’m just a little bit confused, and hoping to clarify my findings. Here is a summary of my understanding so far:
- Atlas has a myriad of drivers for different languages which allows “database users” to access its data. The database users are not necessarily the app-users. The driver does not have the capability to authenticate end-users via another provider for example (google, facebook sign in etc).
- App-user authentication is managed via the Atlas App Services layer. This must be enabled on the Atlas UI.
- Realm is an App Service that allows app users to externally authenticate and sync data.
- Data API is also another App Service that exposes the data via HTTPS end points. It also allows app-user
to authenticate externally.
In short, can someone please confirm that the only way for an externally authenticated user to access data is via the following?
- Realm SDK - if their data is synced on their device
- Data API - for any data including ones that are synced on device
Bonus question - is there any driver (or anything) that allows externally authenticated user to access data other than the two mentioned?
I hope I’m making sense, remember I am new and just doing research at this moment. Go easy on me, thanks!