Is there any way to determine the availability zone (AZ) of a cluster/nodes?

So I’m trying to attack an issue regarding data transfer costs to a cluster running on AWS.

Recently we are getting hit with high data transfer charges for data transferred across AZs over a peered VPC connection.

Now this would be pretty simple to solve if there was some kind of API call/information log that tells us what AZ the cluster has been deployed to. But I’ve google for hours and I can’t find any answers.

Is there

1. Any way to choose the AZ in which a cluster’s primary and replica nodes are deployed in?
  2. Anyway to determine which AZ a cluster’s primary and replica nodes are deployed in?
  3. Anyway to get information on a peered VPC for Mongo Atlas e.g. VPC flow logs?

Hi @Emmanuel_Kyeyune - Welcome to the community

1. Any way to choose the AZ in which a cluster’s primary and replica nodes are deployed in?

Unfortunately you cannot choose the specific AZ in which the cluster’s nodes are deployed in. There is a similar feedback post you could vote for in terms of choosing AZ’s.

1. Anyway to determine which AZ a cluster’s primary and replica nodes are deployed in?

Currently there is currently no way to determine which AZ the cluster’s primary and replica nodes are deployed in. There is also currently a feedback post which is similar to the request in your question.

1. Anyway to get information on a peered VPC for Mongo Atlas e.g. VPC flow logs?

You may want to follow up with the Atlas support team to see if the VPC Flow logs are enabled or can be enabled for troubleshooting purposes.

Just to clarify, AWS maps the physical Availability Zones randomly to the Availability Zone names for each AWS account. So "AZ1" for one particular account may not be the same physical AZ as "AZ1" for another.

Regards,
Jason

This topic was automatically closed 5 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.