Automatic upgrade to MongoDB 5.0

Hello Everyone,

1. Did someone is know what is the specific date of the automatic upgrade Atlas M0/M2/M5 to MongoDB 5.0?
  2. Did the automatic upgrade will also restore the databases at the new version or that I need to do it myself?

It was mentioned that automatic upgrade will happen in Mid February
Please contact support team

We are deploying your changes: 3 of 3 servers complete (current action: configuring MongoDB)

Hi @Reut_Shaul,

Welcome to the community :wave:

1. Did someone is know what is the specific date of the automatic upgrade Atlas M0/M2/M5 to MongoDB 5.0?

As noted by Ramachandra, the upgrade will occur mid February. No exact date and time has been specified.

1. Did the automatic upgrade will also restore the databases at the new version or that I need to do it myself?

My understanding of this questions is that you are wanting to know if you will need to perform any manual steps to get the cluster upgraded to 5.0 with regards to the automatic upgrade. If this is the case, then the answer is no, you will not need to do anything in order for your shared tier cluster to be upgraded to 5.0. If my understanding of your question is incorrect please let me know and provide further context.

In addition to the above, you would have received a reminder email with details on what you need to do. Within the email, it recommends you:

• Update your driver version to ensure continued compatibility with your applications. Visit our Docs to see which driver versions are compatible with 5.0 and download the latest version.
  • Remove unsupported commands . In MongoDB 5.0, support for commands like ensureIndex have been removed. Visit our Docs to see a complete list and alternative solutions.

You may wish to also test your application(s) with version 5.0 prior to the automatic upgrade if possible to help minimize / identify any issues with your application(s) and MongoDB version 5.0. You can create a new M10+ tier cluster at MongoDB version 5.0 to perform any required testing.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Jason

1 Like

Hi Jason, Thanks for your answer. You understood me well.
My questions came up following the email you talked about.
I’ve done to update in my side and performed tests in my local machine with local MongoDB version 5.0.
But I want to know the exact date so I could schedule the updates in my application too.
In Addition, We are using M2 for staging environment and M10 for production environment (Both are Atlas).
So the M2 automatically will update, But I want that our environments will work with the same MongoDB version, So I will have to upgrade the M10 cluster.
My question is - While I’m upgrading the MongoDB version manually, Do I need to backup all of my DBs before the upgrade?

Hi @Reut_Shaul,

Thanks for confirming my understanding of your question :slightly_smiling_face:

My question is - While I’m upgrading the MongoDB version manually, Do I need to backup all of my DBs before the upgrade?

In regards to if you “need” to perform a backup before the upgrade, this would depend on your organization’s policy regarding backups, but it would be strongly recommended to take a backup prior to the manual upgrade to version 5.0 or any other major changes. You may find the On-Demand Snapshot documentation useful for this.

In addition to the above, if you later want to restore the backup it can only be restored to a cluster running either the same major release version or the next higher one. Atlas doesn’t support restoring to older versions.You can still use backups made before an upgrade. More details regarding this on the Cloud Backups documentation.

Generally newer versions of the MongoDB drivers are compatible with older server versions (but not vice-versa) so you could possibly update/upgrade the applications before the server version is updated but testing is always advisable before doing so to minimise the impact of any issues that may occur. See PyMongo compatibility list and Java driver compatibility list as an illustration.

Hope this helps

Regards,
Jason

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 5 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.