Are write to MongoDB without using transactions follow rule of ACID?

I have an endpoint that register users to my database. Each user is associated with a user id in incremental order such as 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. If I insert a new user, the new user will have a user id of (current max user id + 1).

Suppose I have three users at my database with user id of 1, 2, and 3 correspondingly. If two users make a request to register concurrently, both users will have an user id of 4 which causes a duplicate conflict. One way to solve it is to use transaction since transactions are isolated. More specifically, user A has to wait until user B finishes his/her write to the database, then user A will proceed his/her write.

Transaction follows ACID rule. What about a normal insert method without using a transaction. For example, just db.collection("users").insertOne(user_json). Will this also follow ACID rule as well?
In my example above which two users make concurrent requests to register, will the two requests be isolated?

Welcome to the MongoDB Community @Black_Panther !

Updates to a single document still have the same ACID properties: a write to a single document is either successful or the document is not changed. You will not have a partially updated document and each update is applied atomically.

However, ACID transactions are a step up from an ACID update (in MongoDB as well as other databases). If a transaction is in progress and a write outside the transaction modifies a document, the transaction will abort with a write conflict and can be retried. See In-progress Transactions and Write Conflicts for more information.

Incrementing IDs are generally a performance anti-pattern for a distributed database as they require a single point of coordination (which is why the default unique identifiers are pseudorandom ObjectIDs that can be independently generated).

However, there are a few references for your use case:

You’ll notice the above references rely on the ACID properties of updating a counter document with a unique index rather than using multi-document transactions.

Regards,
Stennie

This topic was automatically closed 5 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.