Writing To GCS From Atlas Functions Not Working

I already posted this question on StackOverflow but then realised that it might be better to post it here. I am trying to write a blob to a bucket using the save() function (sample here) from the GCS Node.js SDK from Google inside a Atlas Cloud Function that get’s triggered on a DB event.

exports = async function(changeEvent) {
  const { Storage } = require('@google-cloud/storage');
  const storage = new Storage({
    projectId: '<project-id>',
    credentials: JSON.parse(context.values.get('GOOGLE_APPLICATION_CREDENTIALS'))
  });
  const destFilename = '<filename>';
  const bucketName = '<bucket-name>';
  const contents = 'these are my contents';
  return await storage.bucket(bucketName).file(destFilename).save(contents);
}

I can confirm the following:

1. The client is correctly authenticated
  2. Permissions are correct

My problem is that I do not know what the problem is because the only output I get is the following:

{"_readableState":{"objectMode":false,"highWaterMark":{"$numberLong":"16384"},"buffer":{"head":null,"tail":null,"length":{"$numberLong":"0"}},"length":{"$numberLong":"0"},"pipes":null,"pipesCount":{"$numberLong":"0"},"flowing":false,"ended":true,"endEmitted":true,"reading":false,"sync":false,"needReadable":false,"emittedReadable":false,"readableListening":false,"resumeScheduled":false,"paused":false,"emitClose":true,"autoDestroy":false,"destroyed":false,"defaultEncoding":"utf8","awaitDrain":{"$numberLong":"0"},"readingMore":false,"decoder":null,"encoding":null},"readable":false,"_events":{"prefinish":{},"close":[{},{}],"end":{},"finish":{},"error":{}},"_eventsCount":{"$numberInt":"5"},"_maxListeners":{"$undefined":true},"_writableState":{"objectMode":false,"highWaterMark":{"$numberLong":"16384"},"finalCalled":false,"needDrain":false,"ending":true,"ended":true,"finished":true,"destroyed":false,"decodeStrings":true,"defaultEncoding":"utf8","length":{"$numberDouble":"0"},"writing":false,"corked":{"$numberLong":"0"},"sync":false,"bufferProcessing":false,"onwrite":{},"writecb":null,"writelen":{"$numberLong":"0"},"bufferedRequest":null,"lastBufferedRequest":null,"pendingcb":{"$numberInt":"0"},"prefinished":true,"errorEmitted":false,"emitClose":true,"autoDestroy":false,"bufferedRequestCount":{"$numberLong":"0"},"corkedRequestsFree":{"next":null,"entry":null,"finish":{}}},"writable":false,"allowHalfOpen":true,"_transformState":{"afterTransform":{},"needTransform":false,"transforming":false,"writecb":null,"writechunk":null,"writeencoding":"buffer"},"updateHashesOnly":true,"crc32cEnabled":true,"md5Enabled":false,"crc32cExpected":{"$undefined":true},"md5Expected":{"$undefined":true}}