When mongodb dotnet driver support TLS1.3

According to the doc mongo-csharp-driver/Docs/reference/content/reference/driver/ssl.md at master · mongodb/mongo-csharp-driver (github.com), currently the mongoDB dotnet driver only support up to TLS1.2. For security reason, I want to know when the mongoDB dotnet driver support TLS1.3? Or do mongoDB driver have a plan to support TLS1.3?

Hi, 若璇 王,

Welcome to the MongoDB Community Forums. The .NET/C# Driver does not enable TLS1.3 by default (due to limitations in .NET Standard), but it can be enabled using code similar to the following:

const string MONGODB_URI = "<<YOUR CONNECTION STRING>>";
var settings = MongoClientSettings.FromConnectionString(MONGODB_URI);
settings.SslSettings.EnabledSslProtocols = SslProtocols.Tls13;
var client = new MongoClient(settings);

We plan to enable TLS1.3 support as well as safer TLS defaults in the 3.0.0 release of our driver. See CSHARP-4862 for details.

Sincerely,
James

1 Like

Thanks. Great to hear that you have plan to support TLS1.3 in 3.0.0 release. How about mongoDB server? Does mongoDB and mongoDB altas support TLS1.3? According to doc [Release Notes for MongoDB 4.4 —MongoDB Manual, I found the mongoDB4.4 support tls 1.3 on some specific linux system.

I want to know what’s the latest status for mongoDB and mongoDBAltas for supporting TLS1.3 and any plan on this?

TLS1.3 support was introduced in MongoDB 3.6.9, 4.0.4, and 4.2.0. It is on by default as long as it is supported by the operating system. Support for TLS1.3 in Atlas is in the works, but we haven’t public announced an availability date yet. TLS1.2 is supported in Atlas currently.

Sincerely,
James

1 Like