What is an aggregation expression? How much of dotted notation is supported by a field path/$set (aggregation)?

The manual mentions aggregation expressions everywhere. For example, the “$set” aggregation operator has the following syntax:

{ $set: { <newField>: <expression>, ... } }

But the link to “aggregation expression” in its documentation simply points to the aggregation operators page. From what I can tell from the examples, you can also use $set with values from the document using a field path (e.g. $field).

1. Where can I find in the documentation what an aggregation expression can be? Can it be anything else other than an operator or a field path?

Next, the field path is defined like so:

Path to a field in a document. To specify a field path, use a string that prefixes the field name with a dollar sign ($).

And the docs say this about it:

To specify a field path, prefix the field name or the dotted field name (if the field is in the embedded document) with a dollar sign $.

The linked dot notation documentation contains the following:

To specify or access an element of an array by the zero-based index position, concatenate the array name with the dot (.) and zero-based index position, and enclose in quotes: "<array>.<index>"

This works great with a query:

{ "myArray.0.someField": 123 }

However, the corresponding field path "$myArray.0.someField" evaluates to an empty array. For example, running the $set query with { test: "$myArray.0.someField" } will produce documents with the test field being an empty array, every time.

1. Where can I find documentation about this? Does the field path not support dot notation fully? Or is this a limitation of the $set operator?