What are you doing to fight off cabin fever right now?

Done @Jamie.

3 Likes

Beautiful! (Though it looks like our puzzles, typically missing 1-2 pieces by the time we’re done! :laughing:) What a neat project to do together :grin:

1 Like

I’m thinking about getting into snow shoeing and cross-country skiing this Winter to stay sane (I live in Minnesota :cold_face:). Anyone here have any tips for getting started?

2 Likes

For skiing I know, that start light, and ramp up from that. It is pretty whole body experience, so you might feel sore for days after you’ve done your first skiing trip. Same thing as starting to go gym, it should be started lightly, so you don’t immediately make you hurt, and demoralize yourself.

Skiing is quite much equipment sports, even in hobby. Outfit that you use should be breathing properly, to transfer sweat from skin to outside. It could be worth having layers that you can take off and add depending how hot/cold you feel.
Best to switch into dry clothes immediately after you finish, at least dry shirts. You’ll get ill quite easily if you hang out too long with damp clothes outside.
And depending how you sweat, remember to stay hydrated. Thirst doesn’t feel similar at winter, but it is still there.

3 Likes

He Joe,
snow shoeing is fun, get familiar with the environment, for your first trips: stay close to the place you started, make sure that some one reliable knows where go, when you want to be back, in the days of the climate change the thread of avalanches is not to be underestimated(!), learn to know your limits and excel from there.
Have fun and enjoy!
Michael

3 Likes

Drink lots of water, more than you think you need, and wear sunscreen!

2 Likes

My best days are snow-shoeing off-track (hors-piste I do not know how to say it in english). At the end of the day a nice cold beer near an open fire outside. A shower outside with warm water on your body. A night in a wood stove heated cabin with no electricity, no wifi, no network signal.

3 Likes

Ok mate, when do we start ?
:snowflake: :beer: :fire: :ski:
Sounds perfect!!

Michael

4 Likes

i’m in montreal, where are you located?

2 Likes

Oh, I caught the french and thought of France…
I am in Germany … fixed plans for 2021 are not final (2020 has a virus, still wait for the reinstall…)
If things turn out positive Feb. is our goal for a skiing / snow-shoeing break,

2 Likes