/var/lib/mongodb directory not created

My whole ordeal started when i wanted to upgrade my fvc version to 4.0 to use SCHRAM 256, i decided to remove my current MongoDB installation and just install version 4.4, following the steps here https://docs.mongodb.com/v4.4/tutorial/install-mongodb-on-ubuntu/

The issue I’m running into is that according to the docs it should automatically create the /var/lib/mongodb directories which it did with my previous instillation, but hasn’t done when i have installed it. Trying to run the following command leads to the following error

sudo systemctl start mongo
● mongodb.service - LSB: An object/document-oriented database
     Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/mongodb; generated)
     Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sun 2022-01-23 19:13:25 UTC; 5s ago
       Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
    Process: 46572 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/mongodb start (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Jan 23 19:13:24 axillaryweb-droplet systemd[1]: Starting LSB: An object/document-oriented database...
Jan 23 19:13:24 axillaryweb-droplet mongodb[46572]:  * Starting database mongodb
Jan 23 19:13:25 axillaryweb-droplet mongodb[46572]:    ...fail!
Jan 23 19:13:25 axillaryweb-droplet systemd[1]: mongodb.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Jan 23 19:13:25 axillaryweb-droplet systemd[1]: mongodb.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Jan 23 19:13:25 axillaryweb-droplet systemd[1]: Failed to start LSB: An object/document-oriented database.

I have been bashing my head trying to figure out what is going wrong here.
(It should be noted that when installing MongoDB i used to specific version command and not latest version)

This should be sudo systemctl start mongod
Your log does not indicate anything about /var/lib/mongodb directory
Check your config file and verify if dirpath/logpath dirs exist and with appropriate privileges/ownership
Does mongod.log give more details?