Unify Multiple Local Databases in a Remote Central Database

Hi everyone,

I have an application written in Node with Electron. Each client installs it on his computer alongside a MongoDB database. Each database has 3 collections (coll_A, coll_B, and coll_C).

So, if we have 20 clients, we’ll have 20 different databases. We are building a dashboard that will show metrics about all clients and this dashboard will have access to a central remote MongoDB database hosted on the cloud, for example.

I need infrastructure or some feature in MongoDB that will allow me to merge all documents from the coll_A of all clients into the coll_A located in the central database. It’s important to note that the dataflow is unidirectional (n clients → remote server)

Can I solve this problem with sharding or replica sets? As far I understood from the docs, it is not possible unless I am missing something :slight_smile:

If there is no such tool, the best way would be to write an algorithm to merge from clients, right?

Hi @Paulo_Henrique_Favero_Pereira welcome to the community!

If I understand correctly, your use case is:

1. You have clients with separate MongoDB installations
  2. You want metrics from each client’s MongoDB database to be visible from a central dashboard that you control (and no control from any client)

Is this accurate? You also mention:

I need infrastructure or some feature in MongoDB that will allow me to merge all documents from the coll_A of all clients into the coll_A located in the central database.

Does this mean that you want a copy of all client’s data in the central server?

If this is the case, then I don’t think any built-in MongoDB feature is suitable for the use case.

I’m wondering, if having a central server is the main use case, why do you need to install a local MongoDB on the client at all? Is it possible to just use a single centralized database and all client connect to it instead?

Best regards
Kevin

Hi @kevinadi,

Thanks for the reply.

Does this mean that you want a copy of all client’s data in the central server?

Yes, this is what we want.

I’m wondering, if having a central server is the main use case, why do you need to install a local MongoDB on the client at all? Is it possible to just use a single centralized database and all client connect to it instead?

Unfortunately, each client needs its own local database. I agree that this would be the best scenario.

I am almost achieving my goal with Debezium and Kafka MongoDb Sink Connector. With Debezium, I have a CDC pipeline and Kafka streaming all my data to the global database.
For now, my setup is just failing for update operations. I am going to create a new topic with all the information regarging this issue.