Timeout when selecting a server after inactivity

Hi,

We are using mongodb atlas using a mongodb+srv connection. When our webapp is starting up and handling requests - everything is working just fine. When our webapp gets inactive/idle a few hours we a getting timeouts on new requests:

System.TimeoutException: A timeout occurred after 30000ms selecting a server using CompositeServerSelector{ Selectors = MongoDB.Driver.MongoClient+AreSessionsSupportedServerSelector, LatencyLimitingServerSelector{ AllowedLatencyRange = 00:00:00.0150000 }, OperationsCountServerSelector }. Client view of cluster state is { ClusterId : "1", ConnectionMode : "ReplicaSet", Type : "ReplicaSet", State : "Disconnected", Servers : [] }.    
at MongoDB.Driver.Core.Clusters.Cluster.ThrowTimeoutException(IServerSelector selector, ClusterDescription description)    
at MongoDB.Driver.Core.Clusters.Cluster.WaitForDescriptionChangedHelper.HandleCompletedTask(Task completedTask)    
at MongoDB.Driver.Core.Clusters.Cluster.WaitForDescriptionChangedAsync(IServerSelector selector, ClusterDescription description, Task descriptionChangedTask, TimeSpan timeout, CancellationToken cancellationToken)    
at MongoDB.Driver.Core.Clusters.Cluster.SelectServerAsync(IServerSelector selector, CancellationToken cancellationToken)    
at MongoDB.Driver.MongoClient.AreSessionsSupportedAfterServerSelectionAsync(CancellationToken cancellationToken)    
at MongoDB.Driver.MongoClient.AreSessionsSupportedAsync(CancellationToken cancellationToken)    
at MongoDB.Driver.MongoClient.StartImplicitSessionAsync(CancellationToken cancellationToken)    
at MongoDB.Driver.MongoCollectionImpl`1.UsingImplicitSessionAsync[TResult](Func`2 funcAsync, CancellationToken cancellationToken)

We are using MongoDB.Driver version 2.14.1.

The heartbeats are also running just fine, even tough the app reports the timeouts:

MongoDB-SDAM Verbose: 405 : connection[1:xxxxxxxxx-dev-shard-00-02.yyyy.mongodb.net:27017:6-155102]: sent heartbeat in 60059.3808ms.
    DateTime=2022-02-17T14:48:01.0366223Z
MongoDB-SDAM Verbose: 404 : connection[1:xxxxxxxxx-dev-shard-00-02.yyyy.mongodb.net:27017:6-155102]: sending heartbeat.
    DateTime=2022-02-17T14:48:01.0370828Z
MongoDB-SDAM Verbose: 405 : connection[1:xxxxxxxxx-dev-shard-00-00.yyyy.mongodb.net:27017:2-155256]: sent heartbeat in 61040.5318ms.
    DateTime=2022-02-17T14:48:02.0370829Z
MongoDB-SDAM Verbose: 404 : connection[1:xxxxxxxxx-dev-shard-00-00.yyyy.mongodb.net:27017:2-155256]: sending heartbeat.
    DateTime=2022-02-17T14:48:02.0373158Z
MongoDB-SDAM Verbose: 405 : connection[1:xxxxxxxxx-dev-shard-00-01.yyyy.mongodb.net:27017:5-161874]: sent heartbeat in 60914.9487ms.
    DateTime=2022-02-17T14:48:02.0385639Z
MongoDB-SDAM Verbose: 404 : connection[1:xxxxxxxxx-dev-shard-00-01.yyyy.mongodb.net:27017:5-161874]: sending heartbeat.
    DateTime=2022-02-17T14:48:02.0396348Z

Meanwhile the app is reporting timeouts, we can;

• Connect to each of the 3 hostnames with telnet xxx 27017 from the host of the webapp.
  • We can connect, with the same connectionstring, from MongoDB Compass (different machine).
    so the server is responsive, and the network is available.

but we can only get the webapp running again by restarting it.

We have 3 different test environments, they all having the same problem.

Any suggestions, or know ways of doing further diagnostics?

Hi, @FrankNielsen,

Welcome to the MongoDB Community! Thank you for providing the exception with stack trace. I notice that your cluster topology contains no servers:

Servers : []

We have seen this problem in containerized environments due to a DNS issue. I suspect that you are running your app servers in Kubernetes, AKS, or similar environment.

The root cause of the problem is a bug in DnsClient.NET. DnsClient.NET is a third-party dependency that we use for SRV and TXT lookups. This bug has been resolved and will be included in the upcoming 2.15.0 release. See CSHARP-4001 for more information on the fix.

Prior to the release of the 2.15.0 driver, you can avoid this problem by using the mongodb:// connection string as A, AAAA, and CNAME lookups are not affected by this bug.

Sincerely,
James

1 Like

Hi @James_Kovacs ,

Thx for the reply, it was worth waiting for.

I have looked around your Jira but i am unable to find any roadmap for the v2.15.0 release, can you reveal anything - is it within weeks or months?

Cheers, Frank

Hi, @FrankNielsen,

Glad that I could be of assistance. We are wrapping up some features that we want to include in the 2.15.0 release. Insert usual disclaimer about forward-looking statements, plans could change due to unforeseen circumstances, etc., etc. With that said, the 2.15.0 release is weeks away, not months, though I don’t know for sure exactly when.

James

Hello,

Is there a fix for this issue? I am also facing the same issue. I am using AWS + DocumentDB + SSH Tunnel. When I trying to connect to

1. Document DB from MongoDBCompass from my local laptop it works.
  2. When I use AWS Ubuntu EC2 for tunneling from my local laptop, I could see DocumentDB shell and I can execute the commands as well.

However when I try to connect to AWS DocumentDB from .Net application, I get below exception. I am using the same connection string in Compass and .Net code.

A timeout occurred after 30000ms selecting a server using CompositeServerSelector{ Selectors = MongoDB.Driver.MongoClient+AreSessionsSupportedServerSelector, LatencyLimitingServerSelector{ AllowedLatencyRange = 00:00:00.0150000 }, OperationsCountServerSelector }. Client view of cluster state is { ClusterId : “1”, ConnectionMode : “Direct”, Type : “Unknown”, State : “Disconnected”, Servers : [{ ServerId: “{ ClusterId : 1, EndPoint : “Unspecified/documentdb-test.cluster-c7jldipe45vl.ap-south-1.docdb.amazonaws.com:27017” }”, EndPoint: “Unspecified/documentdb-test.cluster-c7jldipe45vl.ap-south-1.docdb.amazonaws.com:27017”, ReasonChanged: “NotSpecified”, State: “Disconnected”, ServerVersion: , TopologyVersion: , Type: “Unknown”, HeartbeatException: “MongoDB.Driver.MongoConnectionException: An exception occurred while opening a connection to the server. —> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 172.31.27.19:27017
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Connect(IPAddress[] addresses, Int32 port)
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Connect(String host, Int32 port)
at MongoDB.Driver.Core.Connections.TcpStreamFactory.Connect(Socket socket, EndPoint endPoint, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at MongoDB.Driver.Core.Connections.TcpStreamFactory.CreateStream(EndPoint endPoint, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at MongoDB.Driver.Core.Connections.SslStreamFactory.CreateStream(EndPoint endPoint, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at MongoDB.Driver.Core.Connections.BinaryConnection.OpenHelper(CancellationToken cancellationToken)
— End of inner exception stack trace —
at MongoDB.Driver.Core.Connections.BinaryConnection.OpenHelper(CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at MongoDB.Driver.Core.Connections.BinaryConnection.Open(CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at MongoDB.Driver.Core.Servers.ServerMonitor.InitializeConnection(CancellationToken cancellationToken)
at MongoDB.Driver.Core.Servers.ServerMonitor.Heartbeat(CancellationToken cancellationToken)”, LastHeartbeatTimestamp: “2022-04-07T05:48:53.4181477Z”, LastUpdateTimestamp: “2022-04-07T05:48:53.4241461Z” }] }.

Pleas help.

Thanks,
Yogesh

A short follow up, since mognodb driver release v2.15.0 we have not experienced any problems running with the SRV connection string format.

Cheers, Frank

PS: @Yogesh_Satpute i think your problem is a general first time connection problem!?