Timeout when Azure Container App tries to connect via peering

I’m trying to deploy an Azure Container App (managed Kubernetes) which accesses an Atlas Mongo database through a peering connection. The initial connection to the database fails after 30 seconds with a timeout. The full stack trace at the end of this post.

The peer status is “Available”.

The IP Address range of the Azure VNet is in the IP Access list and is Active.

The IP Address range of the Atlas CIDR for the peer is in the IP Access list and is Active.

I think the connection string is correct, it includes the “-pri” and, If I remove the “-pri”, I can use the connection string to connect from Compass on my machine.

I don’t have a machine in the Azure VNet that I can test from.

I have been through this: https://www.mongodb.com/docs/atlas/troubleshoot-connection/

How do I diagnose this problem? Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks!

Here is the full stack trace:

Health check StartupCheck threw an unhandled exception after 29999.7424ms
System.TimeoutException: A timeout occurred after 30000ms selecting a server using CompositeServerSelector{ Selectors = ReadPreferenceServerSelector{ ReadPreference = { Mode : Primary } }, LatencyLimitingServerSelector{ AllowedLatencyRange = 00:00:00.0150000 }, OperationsCountServerSelector }. Client view of cluster state is { ClusterId : "1", ConnectionMode : "ReplicaSet", Type : "ReplicaSet", State : "Disconnected", Servers : [{ ServerId: "{ ClusterId : 1, EndPoint : "Unspecified/schedulerdevcluster-shard-00-00-pri.yei6y.mongodb.net:27017" }", EndPoint: "Unspecified/schedulerdevcluster-shard-00-00-pri.yei6y.mongodb.net:27017", ReasonChanged: "Heartbeat", State: "Disconnected", ServerVersion: , TopologyVersion: , Type: "Unknown", HeartbeatException: "MongoDB.Driver.MongoConnectionException: An exception occurred while opening a connection to the server.
 ---> MongoDB.Driver.MongoConnectionException: An exception occurred while receiving a message from the server.
 ---> System.IO.EndOfStreamException: Attempted to read past the end of the stream.
   at MongoDB.Driver.Core.Misc.StreamExtensionMethods.ReadBytes(Stream stream, Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at MongoDB.Driver.Core.Connections.BinaryConnection.ReceiveBuffer(CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at MongoDB.Driver.Core.Connections.BinaryConnection.ReceiveBuffer(CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at MongoDB.Driver.Core.Connections.BinaryConnection.ReceiveBuffer(Int32 responseTo, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
--- End of stack trace from previous location ---
   at MongoDB.Driver.Core.Connections.BinaryConnection.ReceiveBuffer(Int32 responseTo, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at MongoDB.Driver.Core.Connections.BinaryConnection.ReceiveMessage(Int32 responseTo, IMessageEncoderSelector encoderSelector, MessageEncoderSettings messageEncoderSettings, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at MongoDB.Driver.Core.WireProtocol.CommandUsingQueryMessageWireProtocol`1.Execute(IConnection connection, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at MongoDB.Driver.Core.Connections.HelloHelper.GetResult(IConnection connection, CommandWireProtocol`1 helloProtocol, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at MongoDB.Driver.Core.Connections.ConnectionInitializer.SendHello(IConnection connection, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at MongoDB.Driver.Core.Connections.BinaryConnection.OpenHelper(CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at MongoDB.Driver.Core.Connections.BinaryConnection.OpenHelper(CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at MongoDB.Driver.Core.Connections.BinaryConnection.Open(CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at MongoDB.Driver.Core.Servers.ServerMonitor.InitializeConnection(CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at MongoDB.Driver.Core.Servers.ServerMonitor.Heartbeat(CancellationToken cancellationToken)", LastHeartbeatTimestamp: "2023-09-22T11:56:42.3033290Z", LastUpdateTimestamp: "2023-09-22T11:56:42.3033291Z" }, { ServerId: "{ ClusterId : 1, EndPoint : "Unspecified/schedulerdevcluster-shard-00-01-pri.yei6y.mongodb.net:27017" }", EndPoint: "Unspecified/schedulerdevcluster-shard-00-01-pri.yei6y.mongodb.net:27017", ReasonChanged: "Heartbeat", State: "Disconnected", ServerVersion: , TopologyVersion: , Type: "Unknown", HeartbeatException: "MongoDB.Driver.MongoConnectionException: An exception occurred while opening a connection to the server.
 ---> MongoDB.Driver.MongoConnectionException: An exception occurred while receiving a message from the server.
 ---> System.IO.EndOfStreamException: Attempted to read past the end of the stream.
   at MongoDB.Driver.Core.Misc.StreamExtensionMethods.ReadBytes(Stream stream, Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at MongoDB.Driver.Core.Connections.BinaryConnection.ReceiveMessage(Int32 responseTo, IMessageEncoderSelector encoderSelector, MessageEncoderSettings messageEncoderSettings, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at MongoDB.Driver.Core.WireProtocol.CommandUsingQueryMessageWireProtocol`1.Execute(IConnection connection, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at MongoDB.Driver.Core.Connections.HelloHelper.GetResult(IConnection connection, CommandWireProtocol`1 helloProtocol, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at MongoDB.Driver.Core.Connections.ConnectionInitializer.SendHello(IConnection connection, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at MongoDB.Driver.Core.Connections.BinaryConnection.Open(CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at MongoDB.Driver.Core.Servers.ServerMonitor.InitializeConnection(CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at MongoDB.Driver.Core.Servers.ServerMonitor.Heartbeat(CancellationToken cancellationToken)", LastHeartbeatTimestamp: "2023-09-22T11:56:42.3861491Z", LastUpdateTimestamp: "2023-09-22T11:56:42.3861491Z" }, { ServerId: "{ ClusterId : 1, EndPoint : "Unspecified/schedulerdevcluster-shard-00-02-pri.yei6y.mongodb.net:27017" }", EndPoint: "Unspecified/schedulerdevcluster-shard-00-02-pri.yei6y.mongodb.net:27017", ReasonChanged: "Heartbeat", State: "Disconnected", ServerVersion: , TopologyVersion: , Type: "Unknown", HeartbeatException: "MongoDB.Driver.MongoConnectionException: An exception occurred while opening a connection to the server.
   at MongoDB.Driver.Core.Servers.ServerMonitor.Heartbeat(CancellationToken cancellationToken)", LastHeartbeatTimestamp: "2023-09-22T11:56:42.3905484Z", LastUpdateTimestamp: "2023-09-22T11:56:42.3905484Z" }] }.
   at MongoDB.Driver.Core.Clusters.Cluster.ThrowTimeoutException(IServerSelector selector, ClusterDescription description)
   at MongoDB.Driver.Core.Clusters.Cluster.WaitForDescriptionChangedHelper.HandleCompletedTask(Task completedTask)
   at MongoDB.Driver.Core.Clusters.Cluster.WaitForDescriptionChanged(IServerSelector selector, ClusterDescription description, Task descriptionChangedTask, TimeSpan timeout, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at MongoDB.Driver.Core.Clusters.Cluster.SelectServer(IServerSelector selector, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at MongoDB.Driver.Core.Clusters.IClusterExtensions.SelectServerAndPinIfNeeded(ICluster cluster, ICoreSessionHandle session, IServerSelector selector, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at MongoDB.Driver.Core.Bindings.ReadPreferenceBinding.GetReadChannelSource(CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at MongoDB.Driver.Core.Bindings.ReadBindingHandle.GetReadChannelSource(CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at MongoDB.Driver.Core.Operations.RetryableReadContext.Initialize(CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at MongoDB.Driver.Core.Operations.RetryableReadContext.Create(IReadBinding binding, Boolean retryRequested, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at MongoDB.Driver.Core.Operations.EstimatedDocumentCountOperation.ExecuteAsync(IReadBinding binding, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at MongoDB.Driver.OperationExecutor.ExecuteReadOperationAsync[TResult](IReadBinding binding, IReadOperation`1 operation, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at MongoDB.Driver.MongoCollectionImpl`1.ExecuteReadOperationAsync[TResult](IClientSessionHandle session, IReadOperation`1 operation, ReadPreference readPreference, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at MongoDB.Driver.MongoCollectionImpl`1.UsingImplicitSessionAsync[TResult](Func`2 funcAsync, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at TenantServices.Service.StartupHealthCheck.CheckHealthAsync(HealthCheckContext context, CancellationToken cancellationToken) in /src/TenantServices.Service/StartupHealthCheck.cs:line 29
   at Microsoft.Extensions.Diagnostics.HealthChecks.DefaultHealthCheckService.RunCheckAsync(HealthCheckRegistration registration, CancellationToken cancellationToken)

John have you tried the non-SRV (legacy) connection string? We’ve seen issues in the past where in certain Azure contexts (Windows specifically I believe) the SRV record length didn’t work with the DNS capabilities of that runtime: We’ve tried to escalate this with Microsoft for a fix in the past.

Thanks for the suggestion but, it did not resolve the issue.

Also, when using a SRV connection string I can see from the error message that it was able to resolve the cluster name into a server name so DNS seems to be working.

I’ve also tried granting 0.0.0.0/0 Network Access and I still have the problem.

I suspect some sort of routing issue in the Azure Container Apps environment. I have opened a case with Azure and they are investigating.

My code was causing the problem. I was doing:

var settings = MongoClientSettings.FromConnectionString(connectionString);
    settings.UseTls = false;

Setting UseTls to false is required when using a local MongoDb container but caused the timeout when deployed to an Azure Container App. Changing false to true resolved the issue.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 5 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.