Setting up MongoDB v6.0 on Ubuntu 22: “core-dump: STATUS 4/ILL”

My issue is very similar with setting-up-mongodb-v5-0-on-ubuntu-20-core-dump-status-4-ill, except my cpu has plenty of flags:

processor	: 0
vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
cpu family	: 6
model		: 26
model name	: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           W3520  @ 2.67GHz
stepping	: 5
microcode	: 0x1d
cpu MHz		: 1599.968
cache size	: 8192 KB
physical id	: 0
siblings	: 8
core id		: 0
cpu cores	: 4
apicid		: 0
initial apicid	: 0
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 11
wp		: yes
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht tm pbe syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc cpuid aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm dca sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt lahf_lm pti ssbd ibrs ibpb stibp tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid dtherm ida flush_l1d
vmx flags	: vnmi preemption_timer invvpid ept_x_only flexpriority tsc_offset vtpr mtf vapic ept vpid
bugs		: cpu_meltdown spectre_v1 spectre_v2 spec_store_bypass l1tf mds swapgs itlb_multihit mmio_unknown
bogomips	: 5333.21
clflush size	: 64
cache_alignment	: 64
address sizes	: 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

I don’t know why, but when I install or upgrade mongodb I started feeling like in the early 90’s: every time I bought a new game it came up that I need to upgrade my pc in order to be able to play it…

How can we know what CPU instructions are needed in order to be able to install a specific version of mongodb? I ask this because as a software developer I need to use the latest version of mongodb too, and when I buy a dedicated server I need to know if would be able to run it! Of course, in the same time I don’t want to buy the most expensive server just to be sure that will fit… In absence of precise specifications this task would be a gamble. For example, can anyone tell me if this particular CPU will be able to run mongodb 5.0 ? Or I just need to spend more time to test myself by installing one lower version at a time?

NB: of course, installing mongodb 5.0 on ubuntu 22 would be another problem, since the repo only contains the 6.0.3 version

1 Like

Update:

Installing mongodb <6.0 on ubuntu 22 not possible since it requires OpenSSL 1.x.x while ubuntu 22 has OpenSSL 3.0 Compiling mongodb from source would simply be too much.

In other words, this pc is able to install ubuntu 22 and tons of other stuff… but isn’t good enough for… mongodb!

In absence of some miracle idea it looks like the only option I have is to downgrade ubuntu to 20.04, pray to Manitu to chase the bad spirits, fingers crossed not to see the same “core-dump: STATUS 4/ILL” and try to install mongodb 5.0

Tommorow is just another day!

1 Like

Update 2:

Installing mongodb 5.0 on ubuntu 20 also not possible, as I suspected earlier it gives the same ill status.

At this point I’m sure that this is a mongodb strategy… A dirty one!

And it confirms one of my oldest claims: what commes for free… you’ll end up paying tens of times more than the most expensive item in that category!

If you read the thread you already linked and the resources referenced you would be aware of the requirements and the options available to you if you don’t meet them.

Thanks for visiting.

1 Like

I missed that part in my first read, and after that I was to busy finding a solution and I forgot to update my post. My bad, sorry, but the problem still remains: the oldest intel CPU supported starting with 5.0 is 11 years old, and this age decreases with 6.0. As I said, this policy is forcing clients to upgrade machines in order to benefit the latest versions. On the other way, is impossible to avoid using the latest versions since there are tons and tons of major or minor changes at short periods of time, therefore it would be impossible to catch up if too much time is passed since the last upgrade…

I don’t know any other major software behaving as mongodb in this matter!

Nothing especially bad about this post imho ( it is hidden atm. just helping to bring it back to life. )

1 Like

Disinformation and FUD.

@Sorin_GFS I’ve just gone through this painful process of debugging what could be wrong.

Unfortunately my PC doesn’t have the AVX instruction set

• It’s sad that we are being forced to update/upgrade our PCs in order to use the latest versions of MongoDB.
  • I can’t downgrade back to version 4.x.x without downgrading Ubuntu version.
  • Looks like we are being driven to;
    use MongoDB cloud or upgrade hardware or find an alternative Database
1 Like

Exactly! MongoDB 4.4 not supported on ubuntu 22.04, same goes for 5.0.

I still couldn’t find a solution for that machine since I learned this lesson the hard way after I installed ubuntu 22.04, now I simply can’t find the motivation to downgrade since I’ll lose all the improvements I upgraded for, mainly for security. Is been almost a year since ubuntu 22.04 was released, and they doesn’t even tell if mongoDb 4.4 will be supported or not. See here.

Again you’re right. And for developers this constraint is even worse since their users will run into the same problem and they will lose their credibility. So, not this particular situation concerns me, but the policy! A high end hardware can be used for a maximum of 10 years, which is nothing for the lifetime of a database.

1 Like