Setting up mongodb on raspberry pi: mongod.service: Main process exited, code=dumped, status=4/ILL

Hello, using this mongoDB guide I am trying to install Mongodb on my raspberry pi 3B+ (which says its supported) for a local network server. I installed Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS which can be confirmed running lsb_release -d

root@EMFServer:/home/pi# lsb_release -d
Description:	Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS

and on the step where I start the mongod service sudo systemctl start mongod I run into this error after checking its status sudo systemctl status mongod

Any reason why this can be? Following the official tutorial and I can’t get it working. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Check this thread

mongoDB Active: failed (Result: core-dump)

Thank you for that! I will definitely give it a try. I’m surprised I hadn’t came across that repo myself as I was searching for hours for a solution.

Are you using a Pi 3? I plan to eventually produce a binary for the Pi 3, but there are some complexities to doing so. The 3 is quite underpowered, so it is really stretching the boundaries of reality.

1 Like

Yeah it was a pi 3. I did some digging around and came to the same conclusion that pi 3 is underpowered. It’s all good though, I have a pi 5 on the way but in the meantime had a pi 3 laying around thought I’d give it a try as it’s been on the way for a while now.

Unless you want to challenge yourself, I wouldn’t say it’s worth your time as majority of people are upgrading from the pi3 anyway.

I hope the pi5 will work all as it should though

As a note - the arm binaries from MongoDB should work on the Pi 5 now that its CPU meets the minimum microarchitecture requirements. I haven’t tested the vanilla MongoDB binaries myself, but I have begun building binaries that directly target the Cortex-A76 architecture used on the Pi 5 and provide them alongside ones targeting Cortex-A72 for the Pi 4.

So you think I should try to install native mongoDB binaries first before trying the raspi build binaries? I was thinking to do that anyway but if I’m losing out on something then I would like to be aware of that

The compilation I’m doing targets the ARM cortex architecture of the various Pi’s explicitly with gcc’s -mtune & -march. The binaries published by the company target a broader generic set of ARM processors. In theory, targeting the specific architecture and type of the CPU you are using can produce more performant machine code.

Deciding which to use requires a broader perspective. The official generic ARM binaries provided by the company will inherently have more support and testing than the ones I build and publish in my spare time.

1 Like

Gotcha ok. I will try your binaries and if all works well then I’ll keep using it because I don’t mind having extra performance out of my little pi and worst case I’ll fallback to original generic binaries. Thanks