Search for a keyword through all the fields in a collection

Hello,

MongoDB newbie here. I have a collection with multiple documents in it. All documents have similar fields.
I want to implement a single search function to find any document if any of the fields in that document matches the keyword.

For example, if I have documents that have fields first_name, last_name, middle_name and I search for “John”, if any of the previously mentioned fields contain “John” (it can be Johnathan, Johnny, John, etc.) to return that document.

thanks!

I think the easiest way would just have db.collection.find({$or: [{first_name: “John”}, {last_name: “John”}, {middle_name: “John”}, ]})

whoops misread your question! You can use a regex statement to see if the value in any field contains “john”:
db.collection.find({$or: [{first_name: /^John/ }, {last_name: /^John/ }, {middle_name: /^John/ } ]})

Hi @Beka_Modebadze - welcome to MongoDB and the Forums! One way to do this is via a $search stage in the aggregation pipeline using Atlas Search. Then: You have three query options in Atlas Search: autocomplete, regex, and wildcard.

Regex works best with the keyword analyzer, which is an exact match type. An example of what your query could be with regex is:

{
      index: 'name_test',
      "regex": {
            "query": "John.*",
            "path": "first_name",
            "allowAnalyzedField": true,
        }
    }

Autocomplete requires that you define the field as type autocomplete. This is an example of an Autocomplete index:

{
  "mappings": {
    "dynamic": true,
    "fields": {
      "name": [
        {
          "foldDiacritics": true,
          "maxGrams": 10,
          "minGrams": 2,
          "tokenization": "nGram",
          "type": "autocomplete"
        }
      ]
    }
  }

With this query:

{
  index: 'autocompleteMinTwoDynamic',
  autocomplete: {
    query: 'Jo',
    path: 'first_name'
  }
}
2 Likes

Hello @Beka_Modebadze, welcome to the MongoDB Community forum!

You can also try Text Search using Text Indexes. You can specify the search index on specific fields, as part of a compound index or as a Wild Card Text Index. The Wild Card Text Index allows search all fields of the document.

Note that this is not the same as the Atlas Search.