Replacing binaries on rhel from 4.4.14 to 4.4.16

I have a replica set of 5 and I need to replace the binaries to 4.4.16 - i have the mongos, server and shell rpms at a temporary location /app/software/ - what specific command would be best for replacing the current binaries to the .16 binaries - I understand the steps of stoppping mongod and stepdowns and starting it back up but what is the best and safest way to replace the binaries?

The better way is to add the repo and use yum update or yum install

As you already have the RPMs rpm -U mongodb-org-server-4.4.23-1.el8.x86_64.rpm

2 Likes

For now I think I’ll do the rpm -Uvh mongodb-org-server-4.4.16.el8.x86_64.rpm process on my nodes so that they’re all the same version and then go straight to the latest 4.4 version before going to 5.0 - I have been told that the repo config for MongoDB is normally disabled (set to 0) so that when RHEL gets updated it does not accidentally do MongoDB as well - I will do the repo yum update process in future thank you!

Rather than disabling the repo the packages can be excluded to avoid unintented upgrades.

You can specify any available version of MongoDB. However yum upgrades the packages when a newer version becomes available. To prevent unintended upgrades, pin the package. To pin a package, add the following exclude directive to your /etc/yum.conf file:

exclude=mongodb-org,mongodb-org-database,mongodb-org-server,mongodb-mongosh,mongodb-org-mongos,mongodb-org-tools

Thank you for the clarification on the exclusions, I have another question - I’ve been recommended to instead try doing a symbolic link to the binaries instead of overriding them incase something does not work, what are your thoughts on this and have there been any cases I can learn from?

You should upgrade to the latest release of 4.4 which is 4.4.23

The mongodb-org-server rpm is not relocatable so this method would require the installation by tarball.

There is no real benefit to doing this. Just downgrade to the package if you need to.

That shall occur - the current issue is that the replica set of 5 - 2 are 4.4.16 and 3 are 4.4.14 - so I’ll go to .16 to make all synchronous before going to the latest. from a production standpoint - I’ll upgrade to 4.4.22… I’ll take the risk of the rpm -Uvh mongodb-org-server-4.4.16-1.el7.x86_64.rpm and the others :herb:

This topic was automatically closed 5 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.