Realm Swift Migration: How to see if property/key exists?

I’ve got a iOS based realm app that has gone through a number of schema changes. For one schema version (version 36), I added a property named “activationStartGameTime” as a swift TimeInterval? on a class Period. In a later schema version (version 38) I changed that property to an Int?. I have this in my migration:

if (oldSchemaVersion < 38) {
    migration.enumerateObjects(ofType: Period.className()) { oldObject, newObject in
        if let startTimeInterval = oldObject?["activationStartGameTime"] as? TimeInterval {
            newObject!["activationStartGameTime"] = Int(startTimeInterval)
        } else {
            newObject!["activationStartGameTime"] = nil
        }

For users who have received all versions of that app (specifically if they get a version of the app that has realm schema 36 or 37, they’re fine since in the property activationStartGameTime was added. However, when a user who is using a version of the app that has schema version < 36 tries to upgrade to the current app (schema version 38), they’re getting a crash because the line

if let startTimeInterval = oldObject?["activationStartGameTime"] as? TimeInterval {

is crashing. It seems that looking for a non-existant key by using oldObject?["some_non_existant_key"] always crashes with the error:

2024-02-08 20:46:05.398426-0800 FooApp... *** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'RLMException', reason: 'Invalid property name 'activationStartGameTime' for class 'Period'.'

I can’t seem to find the magic incantation that will let me look for a property of an oldObject and not have it crash if the property does not exist.

(I’m on realm-swift 10.46.0, which is the latest as of 2024_02_08)

Any ideas?

Perhaps I misunderstand the use case but for clarity, since TimeInterval not a supported property type that can be managed by Realm, how is that being persisted for the migration?

Whoops, I should have mentioned that TimeInterval in Swift is a Double (which is persistable in realm). I’m basically converting the Double to an Int in the migration. But the original question still holds where the absence of the activationStartGameTime property in the oldObject is causing a crash.

Can you please include your old activationStartGameTime object and the new activationStartGameTime object?