PHP Framework that supports MongoDB

Joomla doesn’t support MongoDB.

Any recommendations for a PHP framework to use with MongoDB?

Hello @Jack_Woehr , I am curious about what you would like to build. I haven’t looked at Joomla for many years, but I did use MongoDB within WordPress if that’s something which might be related to your question.

@Hubert_Nguyen1 that might indeed be an option. I’ll take a look at WordPress.

1 Like

Awesome! Let me know if you bump into something, or want to exchange notes.

1 Like

Hi @Hubert_Nguyen1
I am trying now to migrate from MySQL to MongoDB in educational purpose.

On my WordPress local website I installed MongoDB, mongoDB PHP driver, but my WordPress still asks about MySQL PHP extension to be enabled. I am not good in PHP so not sure from which angle chase this issue.

In wp-config.php I made the change of

define('DB_HOST', 'mongodb://localhost:27017');

Still without success. WordPress asks me:

Your PHP installation appears to be missing the MySQL extension which is required by WordPress.
Please check that the mysqli PHP extension is installed and enabled.

Will appreciate any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Hi @Michael_Litvinenko welcome to the MongoDB community forums!

It does seem very tempting to migrate WordPress from MySQL to MongoDB!

Your immediate issue seems related to the MySQL PHP extension not being installed. I don’t know which PHP/WordPress stack you’re using, but setting up the PHP stack for WordPress has a lot of different tutorials. The Ubuntu one is just an example:

Now to the main point of your question: “How to make WordPress run on MongoDB instead of MySQL.” Unfortunately, it is impossible because WordPress and thousands of plugins rely on SQL queries written directly into the code.

Even if we could emulate or translate all the SQL queries, it would not be optimum for MongoDB because NoSQL has been created to do away with some of the limitations of SQL. Check this video. It’s a fascinating story!

MongoDB has a different architecture and a powerful query API different from SQL.

On a related note, @Jack_Woehr Jack_Woehr, check Laravel. There’s excellent MongoDB support there. I tried it, and it looks terrific.