Object.bsonsize is not a function

In trying to call Object.bsonsize(doc) within mongosh in Compass but I’m getting: TypeError: Object.bsonsize is not a function. I also tried Object.bsonSize. According to version(), the mongosh I’m using is 1.1.8.

I assume this means it’s not available, although the docs suggest it is? Where am I going wrong here?

Note the warning at the top of the documentation page you linked:

The following document pertains to the mongo shell, included in the MongoDB Server Download. For information on the new MongoDB Shell ( mongosh ) refer to the mongosh documentation.

In this specific case, you can just use bsonsize(doc) and don’t need the Object. prefix.

2 Likes

Thanks for the quick response Anna! Yes, reading the incorrect documentation is definitely one area I was going wrong! :laughing: I don’t see any mention of bsonsize in that documentation, out of interest am I missing it or is that an omission? Is there a way from the docs that I should have been able to work that out?

This topic was automatically closed 5 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.