NuBe With Compass Connection Issues

Maybe I’m in way over my head on this, but I harmlessly thought I would poke around with MongoDB and see what it could do with some JSON data I’ve been poking at… Except I can’t connect Compass to the database instance on Atlas. :flushed:

I’ve been through the documentation for both Compass and Atlas related to connecting one to the other. Maybe I’m slow. I’ve read through the postings I could find on this site. No help. The problem is SO simple, I’m embarrassed to have to ask about it.

Here’ what I got.

1. A database instance called - test
  2. A username - bob@tootallbob.com
  3. A password - ducks4Sale

All of that produces the following connection string:

Blockquote
mongodb+srv://bob:ducks4Sale@fbb-test.ggc2n.mongodb.net/test

Seems straightforward… BUT

• The Organization Access Manager tells me that the username and email address should be the same. So, is " mongodb+srv://bob: " in the connection string correct? Should it be " mongodb+srv://bob@tootallbob.com: " ?

• I’m unclear about the format of the password in the connection string. Is it or ducks4Sale or <>?

I’ve tried just about every combination of the above, so started checking other things.

My ISP is Xfinity. We use their stock model and router. When connecting to the DB instance, Atlas detected my IP address without a problem. I’ve done nothing else with this setting. I can’t find that I should be using a particular port on the router.

The user, bob@tootallbob.com, has admin privileges.

There is something called an admin database for authentication, right? Do I need to do something there? I doesn’t seem like I should.

As an FYI, I’m running Ubuntu 18.04, the Bionic Beaver, if that makes a difference.

All help will be appreciated. I’d give out chocolate chip cookies, but that covid thing… well, you know.

Your mongodb uri mongodb+srv://bob:ducks4Sale@fbb-test.ggc2n.mongodb.net/test should be sufficient.
Remember you have to go in the Atlas web interface to “Network Access” and whitelist the IP you are logging in from.

Welcome to the MongoDB Community @Christopher_Scott!

If you copy your Atlas connection string to the clipboard and open MongoDB Compass, Compass should recognise the format and offer to use it to set up a new connection. You can also copy and paste manually if a prompt doesn’t appear.

The Organization Access Manager tells me that the username and email address should be the same. So, is " mongodb+srv://bob: " in the connection string correct? Should it be " mongodb+srv://bob@tootallbob.com: " ?

Organisation Access is for logging into the Atlas management UI, which would be an email address (or user name for legacy accounts).

To connect to a cluster you need to set up a Database User with access to your Atlas cluster and make sure the IP you are connecting from has been added to the IP Access List for your cluster.

I’m unclear about the format of the password in the connection string. Is it or ducks4Sale or <>?

It looks like you have quoted a correct connection string. The <password> example is meant to be a placeholder for you to replace with your actual password (not including the <>).

For full steps, please see: Connect via Compass in the Atlas documentation. I suspect the confusing step is that you are trying to connect to your cluster with Atlas org credentials rather than a database user.

If the steps don’t work as expected, please confirm your specific version of Compass and any error messages or outcomes.

Also: I’m assuming that you used an example username and password here, but if those are real credentials I would definitely change them ;-).

Regards,
Stennie