Need to uninstall .tgz tarball-based installation of Mongo 5.0

I tried to use Mongo 5.0 by doing a tarball installation before finding out it wouldn’t work since my CPU is Nehalem microarchitecture (1st generation).

Now I want to uninstall the .tgz based installation, but I can’t find out how to do that on your web site. Where is it? How to uninstall .tgz installation?

Hi @Sam_Quinn,

The tarball approach is a manual install, so to uninstall you would undo the installation steps you followed:

• Shutdown the mongod process (if running)
  • Remove any directories you created for MongoDB data or log files
  • Remove any symlinks or changes to your PATH (if you took this optional step when installing)
  • Remove the directory where you unpacked the MongoDB server tgz archive
  • (optional) Uninstall any unused dependencies (eg sudo apt-get remove ... on Ubuntu)

The dependencies for MongoDB (libraries for SSL, cURL, and LZMA compression) are typically shared by other applications so I would be cautious on that last step. Your package manager will warn if you are trying to remove a dependency that has been declared by another installed package, but will not be aware of requirements for tarball installations because manual installs bypass the package manager.

Regards,
Stennie

This topic was automatically closed 5 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.