MongoDB Atlas Serverless instance: DNS Not found

I have a mongo db serverless instance that has been working for about a month. Today it’s DNS name (e.g. xyz123.hssgx.mongodb.net) cannot be found from multiple locations. (My ISP, work, and online sites that provide DNS lookup services)

I’ve checked my account and there doesn’t seem to have been any billing issues (this is used for dev so costs are < $1 US per month) and my database status is shown as “active”.

I’ve followed the instructions on some sites that say to use Google’s DNS servers (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4), but that has not worked either. I also see no options for serverless to pause/resume an instance to see if I can kickstart the DNS again.

Are there further troubleshooting steps here?

4 Likes

I am resurrecting this because I have the same issue, and I see no response here I have configured as follows:

• M10 serverless instance in East US2
  • Create Azure VNET in East US2
  • Peer Azure VNET to Canada Central
  • Create Private Endpoint in East US2
  • Verify connectivity to private endpont (nc -vz <private endpoint address> 27107 succeeeds)

I have attempted to use both public and private DNS resolution to no avail. Why does my private serverless instance DNS not resolve?

A little more info. It did eventually seem to update the DNS correctly once the connectivity was established. I note the following DNS records that should exist:

SRV _mongodb._tcp. should return service = 0 0 27017 <private hostname>
A should resolve to your private endpoint address

If you are having DNS trouble, make sure that both the SRV record and A record resolve, and that the final destination is your private endpoint address. Finally, ensure that you can reach port 27017 of the private endpoint.