Mongo-hadoop connector

The mongo-hadoop library (GitHub - mongodb/mongo-hadoop: MongoDB Connector for Hadoop) as not been updated since 2017. My team uses this library and unfortunately we are encountering issues with the chunk splitter after upgrading to the the latest versions of Hadoop and Spark and upgrading from Java 8 to Java 11. Does anyone know why the project died? Is there a replacement for it that I just haven’t found?

Thanks!
Ian

Welcome to the MongoDB Community Forums @Ian_Springer !

Is there a replacement for it that I just haven’t found?

The Hadoop Connector was superseded by the MongoDB Connector for Spark, which continues to be actively developed.

Does anyone know why the project died?

As a general trend, Hadoop MapReduce interest peaked in 2015 with Spark as the most direct successor. For example, Stack Overflow question trends are an interesting reference point: hadoop vs apache-spark.

We stopped supporting the Hadoop Connector in mid-2018 and there used to be messaging recommending the Spark Connector in the documentation. It looks like the Hadoop documentation has now been retired and the Hadoop Connector GitHub repo is missing that context.

I’ll follow up with our product team to get proper messaging added to the GitHub readme.

Regards,
Stennie

Thanks, Stennie!

Best,
Ian