Mongo Crashes due to "WT_SESSION.checkpoint: attempt to remove non-exist ent offset from an extent list

Hello Everyone,

I get frequent as below and due to this mongod instance was crashed. Could anyone please suggest in which case we print this message “WT_SESSION.checkpoint: attempt to remove non-exist
ent offset from an extent list: Invalid argument” because i din’t find in the error handling of wired-tiger Storage engine codebase .

PS: We have plans to upgrade to higher version meanwhile we need to support the service till then.

logs :

2023-04-20T10:48:49.857-0500 E STORAGE [thread1] WiredTiger (22) [1682005729:857288][16553:0x7fc3fc297700], file:test_stats/index-46508–3641956376256280223.wt, WT_SESSION.checkpoint: attempt to remove non-exist
ent offset from an extent list: Invalid argument

MongoDB version 3.2.1
OS - Centos 6
Topology - Replica Set

Hi @Vinay_Jaiswal

In the 3.2.1 source, I found the exact string in this location: mongo/block_ext.c at r3.2.1 · mongodb/mongo · GitHub

corrupt:
	WT_BLOCK_RET(session, block, EINVAL,
	    "attempt to remove non-existent offset from an extent list");
}

It appears that this is a message displayed when there is a corruption detected in the data files.

Since you’re using a replica set, if this happens in only one of the members, you might want to resync that member from a non-affected node. Maybe there’s a hardware issue on this particular node?

However this is on MongoDB 3.2.1, which was out of support since September 2018. I would encourage you to upgrade to a supported version as soon as possible, since no bugfix will be done on this version anymore.

Best regards
Kevin