MAUI estimated time to arrival?

Can someone tell me when will MAUI Realm relesed?
1-2 month or more?

What exactly are you looking for when you say MAUI Realm? The current version of the SDK should work with MAUI as its binding engine is based on INotifyPropertyChanged, which we integrate with already. So the base functionality should be there. There are certain features of MAUI which we don’t support yet - such as hot reload and compiled two-way automatic bindings. We hope to support them for MAUI GA, but we can’t make hard promises as the last time I tried hot reload was horribly broken, which means I don’t even know what it would take to support it. So I know it’s a super vague answer, but we’ll try to add support for features as soon as they actually work with the strong desire to have a fully fleshed-out product by GA.

2 Likes

This is good news that you do plan to have Realm fully support .Net MAUI. I would love to really start upgrading my XF Realm project I’ve worked on for a number of years, but trying to add the existing Realm to MAUI causes the MacCatalyst dependencies to flag an error. (This may be because one or more of Realm’s dependencies cannot be supported.) Therefore I cannot even really begin until that is cured. Hope compatibility comes sooner rather than later, but I can imagine how much work that will be. Thank you for your kind efforts.

Ah, I see. Unfortunately, we don’t support Catalyst yet. You can only deploy on one of our supported targets listed here.

Any progress on supporting MAUI more fully? MAUI is now officially released although its Visual Studio tools on both Windows and Mac remain in preview. Interestingly, Realm works OK in iOS when run from Visual Studio on Windows, but I get the same type mismatch error in Visual Studio for Mac trying to use Realm in iOS as I do in trying in Catalyst. If you have concrete plans to soon support MAUI fully, GREAT! If not, I may have to start examining alternatives. Nonetheless, I do appreciate any efforts you make in this area. Thank you.

MAUI should be supported on both VS for Windows and Mac - we tested it with several projects about a month ago, but it’s possible something in the new tooling broke and I’ll need to re-test. If you have an iOS project you can share that is not working on VS for Mac, I’d be happy to take it for a spin.

Regarding Catalyst - we still don’t support it, but definitely plan to in the near future.

Your Github site indicates MacCatalyst is supported now; is it possible to get a sample project demonstrating that? In my app trying to create a Ream database still throws an error even though the “caught” exception is null. Same code works in iOS, so should be valid. A working sample might clarify what I am doing wrong.

I’m also having issues trying to get a MAUI app working under Catalyst. Using the MAUI template I’ve hooked in simple platform behaviours for both windows and Catalyst. Windows works but Catalyst throws ‘The type initializer for ‘Realms.SharedRealmHandle’ threw an exception.’ error. This happens in my class constructor but if I move the code into a normal method, it throws a null exception.

@David_Pressman did you manage to sort your problem?

Unfortunately, no. I certainly hope Realm will supply a working MacCatalyst sample as I am at a loss as to how to proceed otherwise.
David Pressman

Hey, sorry for the delay here - Catalyst has been implemented, but not released yet. We’re working through some regressions in Github Actions (our CI) and hope to do a release at some point this week.

1 Like

Hey folks, we just published 10.15, which contains the changes we made to support Catalyst. Can you give it a go and report any problems you encounter?

2 Likes

Wow! Just created 7 Realm Databases in MacCatalyst! Will let you know if I encounter usage issues, but finally the databases exist. A hearty THANK YOU!

3 Likes