Looking for Hackers: GOOD news for a change

Team Name: GOOD news for a change

Outline of project & requirements from team members

I can’t form a team in this Hackathon since I’m a MongoDB employee, but since it seems we have quite a few hackers and not enough ideas, here’s one. :slight_smile:

News can be very overwhelming and depressing. Use the sentiment analysis (Announcing The Global Entity Graph (GEG) Neural Sentiment Dataset – The GDELT Project) from the GDELT dataset to surface some GOOD news.

This could manifest in a few different ways like:

• A mobile app that shows push notification when good news is posted to the data set.
  • A website that surfaces a single good news item and lets you refresh to see more.
  • A search engine that lets you enter a keyword (“actor”) and brings up a list of any nice articles about it
  • Your awesome idea here. :slight_smile:

Team member skills required

Various

How many team members wanted

Up to 4

Time Zone (to facilitate collaboration)

N/A

7 Likes

I had a very similar idea, before posting, I just found your post. But I am unable to join the group. Could you please help

1 Like

Hi. I’m interested in this. I have experience building fullstack web apps
Would any other hacker like to join up and build this awesome idea?

2 Likes

Welcome to the MongoDB Community @Avik_Singha !

What group are you unable to join? You are already part of the Hackathon participants group. If you’d like to join or start a team working on this project idea, you’re discussing in the right place :slight_smile:

Regards,
Stennie

2 Likes

Sure, I would love to.

1 Like

Oh, Thanks for the info.

1 Like

I am interested on this topic. I would like to join this group.

2 Likes

Alright! Let’s get talking with @Avik_Singha Both of you should message me on johnfiewor@gmail.com so we can discuss this further.

3 Likes

@Fiewor_John @Sucheta_Singha @Avik_Singha Sounds like you got a team!!! Great stuff! Once formed, pick a team name and let us know here and we’ll set up your team group for you.

Happy Hacking!

3 Likes

Hi @Shane_McAllister , I have just mailed @Fiewor_John for discussion. Will reply soon with the team name after discussion

3 Likes

Sounds good to me!! We can assist in setting up a private space for the project for you.

3 Likes

We would love this Shane.

4 Likes

Hi. @Shane_McAllister My team - @Avik_Singha and I (we still haven’t decided on a name😄) would like to know if we can show a little demo of our progress in the Friday call tomorrow (as was mentioned during the orientation). And what format does this take?

Also, where is the best place to ask these and other questions.

1 Like

Hey @Fiewor_John delighted to hear you’re up for a Demo! That’s great - and brave as the first one!! :wink:

We can send you an invite to our livestream - I’ll set this up tomorrow for you and @Avik_Singha

As for the best place - you can post a new topic in the main Hackathon category for any new questions, or simple reply in-line to any other topic of interest

4 Likes

@Shane_McAllister That’s awesome. Thanks.

3 Likes

Hi everyone, I would also like to join this project! Still in need of team members? Eager to improve my MongoDB and collaboration skills.

2 Likes

Hi, @Avik_Singha, @Fiewor_John I do have few team name suggestions.

1. “Alternate Journalists” ,
  2. “Mongo Marine”,
  3. “Mongo Planet”

What do you think?

2 Likes

I loved the first name

1 Like