Issue with MongoDB container startup: Failure to write content to mongod.lock file

Hello MongoDB Community,

I’m encountering an issue while deploying a MongoDB container. The mongod.lock file gets created in the respective folder, but during the startup process, the container fails to write content to the mongod.lock file, leading to startup failure.

Here’s a summary of the problem:

• Issue: The mongod.lock file is being created but remains empty during container startup.
  • Error Message:
{"t":{"$date":"2023-11-28T15:44:11.396-05:00"},"s":"E", "c":"CONTROL", "id":20557, "ctx":"initandlisten","msg":"DBException in initAndListen, terminating","attr":{"error":"DBPathInUse: Unable to lock the lock file: /data/db/mongod.lock (No locks available). Another mongod instance is already running on the /data/db directory"}}
  • Observations:
    • The mongod.lock file is created but remains empty.
    • The container startup process fails due to inability to write content to mongod.lock.
    • This prevents MongoDB from starting within the container.

Additional Context:

• I’ve checked file permissions and ownership; they seem to be appropriate for the MongoDB process within the container.
  • The mongod.lock file is created during startup but isn’t being written to, causing the failure.
  • I’ve tried removing the mongod.lock file manually, but the issue persists on subsequent startup attempts.

Request for Assistance:

I’d greatly appreciate any insights or suggestions on how to resolve this issue. Is there any specific configuration or workaround that could help ensure proper writing of content to the mongod.lock file during container startup?

Thank you in advance for your assistance and insights!