Installation problem with activation failing on Ubuntu 18.04

To install I did the following:

1. wget -qO - https://www.mongodb.org/static/pgp/server-5.0.asc | sudo apt-key add -
  2. echo “deb [ arch=amd64,arm64 ] MongoDB Repositories bionic/mongodb-org/5.0 multiverse” | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mongodb-org-5.0.list
  3. sudo apt-get update
  4. sudo apt-get install -y mongodb-org
  5. sudo mongod --version
  6. sudo systemctl start mongod.service
  7. sudo systemctl status mongod

The result of number 7 is:
● mongod.service - MongoDB Database Server
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/mongod.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: failed (Result: core-dump) since Thu 2021-08-05 20:33:13 MDT; 39s ago
Docs:
Process: 10094 ExecStart=/usr/bin/mongod --config /etc/mongod.conf (code=dumped, signal=ILL)
Main PID: 10094 (code=dumped, signal=ILL)

Aug 05 20:33:13 Lanny systemd[1]: Started MongoDB Database Server.
Aug 05 20:33:13 Lanny systemd[1]: mongod.service: Main process exited, code=dumped, status=4/ILL
Aug 05 20:33:13 Lanny systemd[1]: mongod.service: Failed with result ‘core-dump’.

How to I correct this problem? Ideally, I’d like to install the latest version of MongoDB to my home directory without using the apt, but installing via a downloaded file.

Hi @Sam_Quinn

From recent post signal=ILL seems to be related to unsupported cpu architectures. What CPU are you running ?

Changes to supported microarchitecture

See MongoDB 5.0 CPU Intel G4650 compatibility - #2 by Stennie for more details and a solution 5.0 by building your own.

If you don’t want the packaged install you can download and install from tarball.. This does not change the requirement for a supported platfrom.

It appears I am running Nehalem microarchitecture (1st generation) Intel(R) Core™ i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz on Ubuntu 18.04, so my CPU is too old for the current Mongo 5.0 distribution.

Since there is a way to compile the Mongo 5.0 source to work on the Nehalem microarchitecture, can you please compile one for me so I may install that??

There are many of us who have older CPU’s that don’t relish being denied the latest Mongo 5.0 version.

Hi @Sam_Quinn,

Your Nehalem CPU is unfortunately a generation older than what we currently test & support for MongoDB 5.0. Prebuilt binaries are not available and this build combination is no longer part of our testing matrix.

Your options are:

• Build from source yourself (or get a trusted binary from someone else who builds on your behalf). This CPU microarchitecture is still not tested or supported for MongoDB 5.0+ if you run into unexpected behaviour or issues.

• Use the last supported release series for your microarchitecture, which is MongoDB 4.4.

• Use MongoDB 5.0 via a remote server instance or managed database service.

Regards,
Stennie

This topic was automatically closed 5 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.