Instagram Story Model

How will you build an Instagram story like schema which will be deleted after 24hrs and also contain list of users that viewed the story and time they viewed the story. Also users can add multiple stories.

On the part of deleting I thought about using TTL index and a trigger for delete to get the data so I can delete the file from s3. But the delete doesn’t return document data.

I really need help and suggestions for this.

Hi @martin_daniels ,

To me it sounds like the outlier pattern with story documents is the way to go.

The idea is that you have each story as a document in the story collection, with its data and embedded array of users that viewed the post :

{
_id : "doc1", 
storyId : 'xxx' ,
storyCreateDate : ISODate(...),
S3Url : " .... ",
users : [ { "userId" : "embeeded1", "avatar" : "..." , dateViewed : ... } ...  { "id" : "embeededN" } ],
overFlowIndex: 1,
totalViewed : 300,
hasOverflow : true
}
{
_id : "doc2", 
storyId : 'xxx' ,
storyCreateDate : ISODate(...),
S3Url : " .... ",
users : [ { "userId" : "embeededN+1", "avatar" : "..." , dateViewed : ... } ...  { "id" : "embeededN+M" } ] ,
overFlowIndex: 2,
hasOverflow : false
}

When a specific post gets more than “N” number of distinct views (lets say ~200) we open a new document and paging those viewers. You can index {storyId : 1, "users.userId" : 1} to use it for a query to determine whether a user has already viewed that story or is it a new user…

Now there will be a TTL index on the “storyCreateDate” and therefore all the documents will be deleted at the same cycle. Having said that the total views for a story will be calculated from a sum of views on each document or maintained in the “overFlowIndex : 1” document and incremented every update.

Now to get all the documents of story xxx I need to query:

db.collection.find({"storyId" : "xxx" , overFlowIndex : { $gt : 0} }

If you need to sort the documents based on insert order:

db.collection.find({"storyId" : "xxx" , overFlowIndex : { $gt : 0} }.sort({ overFlowIndex : 1})

Now when indexing {"storyId" : 1, "overFlowIndex" : 1} you will get an indexed query to get all overflow documents.

Regarding the trigger to delete the S3 files there are 2 solutions:

1. The triggers now have a pre image feature that will allow you to get the document right before the deletion:
  1. The S3 storage should have a retention policy that you can tune and you can decuple the S3 and MongoDB document deletion.

Thanks
Pavel

3 Likes

S3 has way of deleting file older than some days. i think this will solve my problems. Thank you so much.

This topic was automatically closed 5 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.