Inserting 15,000 time-series documents take 15-20 minutes

Hey everyone.

New to MongoDB but have only heard excellent things so I am excited!

I’m using Azure Cosmos DB API for MongoDB.

My business recently required the need for recording time-series data. Specifically, temperatures (from 24 different points) every 1 to 2 seconds for 8 hours a day. AKA millions of documents. We orginially recorded to CSV format but quickly discovered timeseries and MongoDB were a much better option.

As a result of this late realization, I have about 300,000 temperature points already record to a CSV (new points are being stored directly to the database). So I need to insert these 300,000. However, my insertMany functions take an absurd amount of time. I have tried multiple POST requests with smaller chunks, different schemas, a collection for each point, all points under 1 collection etc. Nothing works. Inserting all 300,000 would take hours.

I am sure I am doing something fundamentally wrong. I can wait the hours, but seems wrong.

My insert many function:

router.post("/insert-many", async (req, res, next) => {
  try {
    const timeSeries = req.body;

BMTempsTimeSeries.insertMany(timeSeries)
      .then((result) => {
        res.status(200).json({ result });
      })
      .catch((error) => {
        res.status(200).json({ error });
      });
  } catch (err) {
    next(err);
  }
});

My model with each temperature channel:

import mongoose from "mongoose";

const mongoSchema = new mongoose.Schema(
  {
    timestamp: String,
    A1: String,
    A2: String,
    A3: String,
    A4: String,
    A5: String,
    A6: String,
    A7: String,
    A8: String,
    A9: String,
    A10: String,
    A11: String,
    A12: String,
    B1: String,
    B2: String,
    B3: String,
    B4: String,
    B5: String,
    B6: String,
    B7: String,
    B8: String,
    B9: String,
    B10: String,
    B11: String,
    B12: String,
  },
  {
    timeseries: {
      timeField: "timestamp",
      granularity: "seconds",
    },
  }
);

export const BMTempsTimeSeries = mongoose.models.BMTempsTimeSeries 

Hello @Daniel_Smyth, welcome to the MongoDB community forum!

In case you are loading the data from the CSV into the database, I suggest use the mongoimport command line utility. This tool allows loading data efficiently from CSV and JSON files into the database.

Hey Prasad, thanks for quick response. Processing/sorting is required before storing in database, I had a script written for this already. But guess I can do this in the CSV.

I’m more concered with the insertMany processing time. See image, 13 seconds to insert 726 documents. Is this typical?

I don’t know if its normal or not. You are accessing the database over a network via some APIs and some kind of web/app server? These layers can affect the performance.

Correct, access database on Azure over network via API. Only concerned because I seen others inserting 100,000 documents in the same time. Maybe a local instance of the DB is better