How to make Mongodb Indexes read and write from Local Storage and not RAM

I want my mongodb indexes to not be loaded/used by RAM. Instead I want them to work by reading and writing from Local Storage itself and not RAM.

Welcome to the MongoDB Community Forums @Shubham_Singh4!

The I/O performance of RAM is orders of magnitude faster than local storage, so all databases (not just MongoDB) generally require sufficient RAM to support common workloads for a deployment.

If performance is not a consideration, you could try minimising the amount of secondary indexes you create and limit available resources using containers or cgroups. However, you may be better served by a different solution optimised for low memory environments.

Can you elaborate on your use case for avoiding using RAM for indexes?

Regards,
Stennie

2 Likes

Thanks for your response @Stennie_X,
I actually want to try out a way in which indexes work without being loaded into RAM. All indexing operations must occur from the local storage only.

Hi @Shubham_Singh4,

I’m not aware of a database which completely avoids loading indexes into RAM as they are used. If limiting available resources (which will force the database server to swap to/from disk more regularly) doesn’t meet your testing scenario you perhaps want to look into an embedded solution or file-based library rather than a database server.

I still don’t understand the use case. Is this for an academic experiment?

Regards,
Stennie

Yeah it was for an academic experiment. Thanks for your help. Peace.

This topic was automatically closed 5 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.