🌱 Hello, World! I'm Angie "webchick" Byron from MongoDB! :D

Greetings, all! :smiley: I’m Angie “webchick’ Byron, based out of Vancouver, Canada, and I’m a brand spankin’ new member of @Stennie_X’s Community Team, hired on as Principal Community Manager!

3a43a393e19b7f7ff802ca365ef26448

In that role, I’ll be focusing on building out MongoDB’s Contributor Experience and MongoDB Champions programs! :smiley: I’m super excited to dig in!

You might remember me from such things as the open source project Drupal or my former company Acquia, though realistically, probably not. :wink: The TL;DR is I helped grow the Drupal community from around 25,000 users back in 2005 to 2.5M+ users today, and a community of 40,000 contributors building software that runs nearly 4% of the top 1M+ websites. I’m aiming to take some of the lessons learned (most of them the hard way ) from growing the Drupal community over the past 15+ years, and apply them to further awesome-ifying community here at MongoDB! :smiley:

I would love to hear from you things like:

• If you’ve tried to contribute to MongoDB before, how did it go? What worked well, what didn’t? What suggestions would you have to improve the process?
  • If you haven’t tried to contribute to MongoDB before, were there blockers in your way? Were you missing key information? Found the process too overwhelming?
  • Are you a part of the MongoDB Champions program? If so, what do you like/not like about it? And if not, how can we help bring you on board? :smiley:

I’m sure there will be many other questions, too, but please don’t hesitate to reach out!

Looking forward to conversing with you all! :smiley:
-Angie

11 Likes

:wave: Welcome to the team @webchick! Awesome to have you on onboard and we’re soooo excited!

Cheers,
Stennie

3 Likes

Welcome @webchick ! :wave:

We are so excited to have you on the team and looking forward to sharing many successes!

Regards,
Wan.

4 Likes

Welcome @webchick ! Looking forward to collaborating soon!

Cheers,
Tim

4 Likes

Welcome @webchick! I did find the process to overwhelming the first time I looked into starting with MongoDB but am very excited to have made my way back to it and find this community as well. It was mostly because I was very new and not quite ready to be here yet. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :

3 Likes

Thank you so much for the warm welcome, all! :smiley:

@Jason_Nutt I’m so happy to hear that you dusted yourself off and gave it another shot. :smiley: Welcome back! If you’re up for it, I’d love to reach out once I get my footing underneath me a bit here to talk more about your experiences!

3 Likes

That sounds great @webchick :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: : Looking forward to it :eyes:

3 Likes

Welcome @webchick ! Excited to work with you as a MongoDB Champion and seeing all the great stuff you’ll bring to the community!

4 Likes

Hello @webchick :wave:

I am looking forward to foster the continuing growth :seedling: :deciduous_tree: :deciduous_tree: of our community with you and all the other active fellows.

Cheers,
Michael

3 Likes

Welcome to the team @webchick! Great to have you on board.

Kevin

4 Likes

Welcome! Looking forward to working with you.

3 Likes

Hello and congratulations!

4 Likes

“If you’ve tried to contribute to MongoDB before, how did it go? What worked well, what didn’t? What suggestions would you have to improve the process?” I just want to know how and where to start contributing and what that looks like @webchick ! I am kinda lost but unwilling to give up hope of figuring out how to best grow with MongoDB and help this community while I’m at it.

“If you haven’t tried to contribute to MongoDB before, were there blockers in your way? Were you missing key information? Found the process too overwhelming?”
My real confusion is writing the code that connects the thing to my frontend, the syntax and query language and concepts and practicing in the shell and with compass all make total sense to me and I am in love with charts! I want to see my cluster connected to the frontend of an app I built from scratch is my real itch but that will come, I have faith. :heavy_heart_exclamation:
“Are you a part of the MongoDB Champions program? If so, what do you like/not like about it? And if not, how can we help bring you on board?” You can bring me on board by telling me where to sign the board! I’m on board, let me come on board? Come on. How do I get on board @webchick ?

2 Likes

Coming back to this; very sorry, it’s been a busy first month! :smiley: Thank you so much for the warm welcome, all! :slight_smile: I look forward to talking with all of you more in-depth soon!

@Jason_Nutt in terms of the Champions program, you can find more about it on this brand-spankin’ new page at MongoDB Developer Community Forums | MongoDB Champions

In terms of the initial blockers, I’ve been very impressed with your tenacity in your search for answers. You got this! :muscle: Once I’m through my technical training myself, maybe I can help a bit around here, too. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hey Angie! Nice meeting both of you earlier. I was having technical difficulties but having awesome uncoverings making this site! Like did you know that the bootstrap icons are available in highly animatable SVGs? I did NOT. This is going to be so fun to make. I can’t wait to show it to y’all! Thanks again for the encouragement! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes