Connecting to local mongodb server using nodejs

Hello! I am a beginner. I recently started node.js tutorial on w3schools on node.js. I stumbled on the place where I have to connect to mongodb. So, I created my project folder, changed to it, ran npm init, installed mongodb. Then I had to create a .js file with the following content:

var MongoClient = require('mongodb').MongoClient;
var url = "mongodb://localhost:27017/mydb";

MongoClient.connect(url, function(err, db) {
  if (err) throw err;
  console.log("Database created!");
  db.close();
});

But when I run it, the black cursor moves on a new line in the terminal and blinks for several seconds. It just hangs there and I get no error messages nor command prompt. After a few minutes I choose to Ctrl+C to stop it. I tried to use 127.0.0.1 instead of localhost, but that didn’t work either.
So, I started to read the doc on mongodb.com, which suggests using this code:

const { MongoClient, ServerApiVersion } = require("mongodb");
// Replace the placeholder with your Atlas connection string
const uri = "mongodb://localhost:27017";
// Create a MongoClient with a MongoClientOptions object to set the Stable API version
const client = new MongoClient(uri,  {
        serverApi: {
            version: ServerApiVersion.v1,
            strict: true,
            deprecationErrors: true,
        }
    }
);
async function run() {
  try {
    // Connect the client to the server (optional starting in v4.7)
    await client.connect();
    // Send a ping to confirm a successful connection
    await client.db("admin").command({ ping: 1 });
    console.log("Pinged your deployment. You successfully connected to MongoDB!");
  } finally {
    // Ensures that the client will close when you finish/error
    await client.close();
  }
}
run().catch(console.dir);

I am not aware of what all of this code does but at least it prints that it successfully connected and there is command prompt after running it.
I start my server by running: sudo systemctl start mongod
I can check that it is running by: sudo systemctl status mongod
I use Debian 11
I have mongosh installed, it says:
`Connecting to: mongodb://127.0.0.1:27017/?directConnection=true&serverSelectionTimeoutMS=2000&appName=mongosh+1.10.1
Using MongoDB: 6.0.8
Using Mongosh: 1.10.1

For mongosh info see: https://docs.mongodb.com/mongodb-shell/
`
My question is firstly what is wrong with the w3schools tutorial code? I could take the latter from mongodb docs but it looks bulky. I wanted to start small and I just can’t get why it doesn’t work. Thanks.

Is this not as your code is not closing the connection, but the longer sample code is?

await client.close();

Sounds reasonable. How do I check it. The line is present though.

Actually…testing locally it seems the callback is not hit…the w3schools tutorial does not seem to work, which is weird, as their example are normally good.

Yes, I like their tutorials.

Sure someone with more experience of this can explain why the callback is not working as lots of example I can see online do the same.

Looking in the release notes, 4.7 of the driver made it optional to call the connect method:

I also saw mentions of deprecating the callbacks in favour of the promise returns, which explains the style in the second example.