Connect Power BI Microsoft Power Platform to MongoDB Atlas

Hello,

I have a question. Is it possible to have a multicloud connection from PowerBI (part of the Microsoft Power Platform) to MongoDB Atlas? Or we have to ask Microsoft if they can provide us a BI Connector to connect Power BI Power Platform to Atlas?
We know the functionality exists with PowerBI Desktop, but now we have a requirement to link our PowerBI cloud to Atlas.

Best Regards
Veronika

Hi @Veronika_Petrova My name is Alexi Antonino and I am the Product Manager for the MongoDB BI Connector as well as a new feature (in Preview soon) called Atlas SQL Interface. The Atlas SQL Interface, connects Atlas Data to SQL based BI tools. The difference from Atlas BIC to Atlas SQL is that the underlying dialect is not MySQL it is our own MongoSQL dialect that is SQL-92 compatible and affords us the ability to add in MongoDB specific functions to perform operations necessary for our document data (e.g. flattening & unwinding). Not only does Atlas SQL have this new dialect to translate SQL to MQL, we have also built a JDBC Driver and we are in the process of building an ODBC Driver. Another difference between Atlas BI Connector and Atlas SQL, is that we plan to build custom connectors to some of the most used tools. We are in the process of building a MongoDB Atlas Tableau Connector and will then build one for Power BI/Power Query.
I wanted to give you this context, because your timing is good so that I can review our existing plan for the Power BI Connector and see if this includes PowerBI cloud. For reference, we are planning to have this new MongoDB Atlas SQL Power BI Connector later this year. I will keep you posted as to whether this first version will support PowerBI Cloud. And feel free to email me directly alexi.antonino@mongodb.com

Best,
Alexi

2 Likes

Thank you, Alexi!
That’s a good news.

Best Regards
Veronika

@Alexi_Antonino Thank you. Imagine you have a multi-tenant SaaS where data for customers are logically separated in the collections, so identifiable/filterable by a property present in each collection.
Do you know any best practices now or in future with Atlas SQL to offer each customer of ours Tableau/PowerBI? This would somehow require to enforce that the query always includes this tenant/customer property.

Hello,

@Alexi_Antonino I saw ur answer, i am facing same issue than vvpe and want to connect PowerBI WebService to my Atlas instance to always get real-time data in dashboards and reports. Do you know approximately when we will be able to do that ?

Thanks in advance,
Nans

Hello @Nans_KARAYANNIDIS - We are planning for a Private Preview of the Power BI Atlas SQL connector early next year. Like January/Feb. time frame. This will be an opportunity for customers to try it out, verify the connector meets their needs and I can collect feedback for my team to iterate on the tool. We are shooting for Atlas SQL to be GA in June 2023. If you’d like to participate in the PPP (Private Preview Program), email me and I will give you the details. We are planning to have support for Direct Query, though I am not sure if this will be in the first version release for the Private Preview Program, but will come soon after. Here is my email: alexi.antonino@mongoDB.com

@Manuel_Reil1 I am so sorry I am just seeing your post now. Your use case for multi-tenant access to data is not unique. It have come up from a few other customers. I need to research how this would work, and any best practices for configuration and get back to you and a few others. Let me do some testing/playing with Atlas SQL + Tableau (since that connector is ready for use now) and get back to you.

Best,
Alexi

Hey, @Alexi_Antonino. I’m trying to connect our MongoDB Atlas cluster on PowerBI, and I successfully connected using the MongoDB BI Connector. The downside is that we must import all the data to work with it. You mentioned the possibility that the Atlas SQL Interface could work with DirectQuery. Is it supported as of now? We would have to migrate from Mongo version 4.4 to 5 to test it; that is why I first need to know if a direct way of accessing live data is possible so I can present it to the team before we carry out the migration.

Greetings @Thomas_Marcelo Thanks for asking about our new Atlas SQL Power BI Connector. It is currently in Private Preview , but the first version is only supporting Import Mode. We are planning to add support for Direct Query in a future release this year. Atlas SQL does require your Atlas Cluster to be version 5.0 and higher, so I can appreciate that being on your radar.
If you would like access to the Atlas SQL Power BI connector now to see how it works and check out how it is different from the BI Connector, please email me and I will get you access. While this version only supports import mode, seeing how the data is displayed and how Atlas SQL leverages Data Federation might be helpful to understand now. You can also use Atlas SQL with a free tier cluster loaded with sample data, so it is easy to test out.

Best,
Alexi
alexi.antonino@mongodb.com