Community Day Trivia #7: What was the maximum BSON document size in MongoDB 2.2?

We’ll be posting trivia challenges throughout the Community Day event!

The best answer for each challenge will be marked as a solution and earn the poster a promo code for $100 of Atlas credits and a Community Day 2021 Trivia Winner forum badge that can also be used as a title on the forums.

A great answer will include some information such as a link to more information or a tip on how you figured out the solution.

You can help us decide the best answer to a trivia challenge by liking great responses! To give everyone a chance at earning Atlas credits, we will use “have you already had a trivia solution accepted” to break ties in favour of those who haven’t had a solution yet.

What was the maximum BSON document size in MongoDB 2.2?

MongoDB 2.2, The maximum BSON document size is 16 megabytes.

1 Like

MongoDB BSON document max size was 64MB size limit

Hi @turivishal,

Thanks for providing the correct answer including a reference to the MongoDB 2.2 server documentation.

If anyone is wondering “Why MongoDB 2.2?” – this the oldest version of the documentation available in the current “versioned” form. Prior to that, the MongoDB server documentation was on a public wiki :wink:

As at MongoDB 5.0, the maximum BSON document size remains 16MB.

Regards,
Stennie

1 Like

Hi @Gopi_Sant,

The maximum document size has never been larger than 16MB. Reducing document size in successive server release series would introduce some challenges for upgrading.

Historically there was at least one different maximum document size, but it was smaller than 16MB. I wonder if anyone can find the relevant docs references :wink:

Regards,
Stennie

Thanks Stennie for clarification.

There is a reason for my answer though it seems wrong. I took MongoDB M101 for Java in April 2013 when MongoDB University just started. (I completed it successfully). I had notated in my notes for week3 as 64MB at that time. I might have got it wrong in notes.

2 Likes

Hi @Gopi_Sant,

Amazing that you still have your written MongoDB University notes from 8 years ago! Thanks for sharing :heart_eyes:.

This may also have been incorrectly described in the course/quiz, or perhaps be a reference to a different limit.

For example, the default chunk size for a sharded cluster is 64 MB.

Regards,
Stennie

2 Likes

Sure. Thanks. At Week 3 of the course, I wasn’t even aware of the word sharding.

1 Like

@Stennie When can I expect $100 atlas credit as trivia challenge winner?

Hi @Gopi_Sant,

I’ll follow up with a private message this week … I’m waiting on the unique promo codes to be allocated so I can distribute.

Thanks for your patience!

Regards,
Stennie

1 Like