Code that works with free instance fails with Serverless,

I have been using a local Docker image of Mongo for development. Now I’m trying to use a Serverless instance and the code is failing with “The connection pool is in paused state…”. The code works with local Docker image and with a free instance of Atlas (only changing connection string).

I’m using V2.15.1 of the .NET Driver.

The stack trace is:

Unhandled exception: MongoDB.Driver.MongoConnectionPoolPausedException: The connection pool is in paused state for server tenantserverless-lb.dsets.mongodb.net:27017.
   at MongoDB.Driver.Core.ConnectionPools.ExclusiveConnectionPool.PoolState.ThrowIfNotReady()
   at MongoDB.Driver.Core.ConnectionPools.ExclusiveConnectionPool.AcquireConnectionHelper.StartCheckingOut()
   at MongoDB.Driver.Core.ConnectionPools.ExclusiveConnectionPool.AcquireConnectionHelper.AcquireConnectionAsync(CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at MongoDB.Driver.Core.ConnectionPools.ExclusiveConnectionPool.AcquireConnectionAsync(CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at MongoDB.Driver.Core.Servers.Server.GetChannelAsync(CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at MongoDB.Driver.Core.Operations.RetryableReadContext.InitializeAsync(CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at MongoDB.Driver.Core.Operations.RetryableReadContext.CreateAsync(IReadBinding binding, Boolean retryRequested, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at MongoDB.Driver.Core.Operations.ReadCommandOperation`1.ExecuteAsync(IReadBinding binding, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at MongoDB.Driver.Core.Operations.ListDatabasesOperation.ExecuteAsync(IReadBinding binding, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at MongoDB.Driver.OperationExecutor.ExecuteReadOperationAsync[TResult](IReadBinding binding, IReadOperation`1 operation, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at MongoDB.Driver.MongoClient.ExecuteReadOperationAsync[TResult](IClientSessionHandle session, IReadOperation`1 operation, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at MongoDB.Driver.MongoClient.ListDatabaseNamesAsync(IClientSessionHandle session, ListDatabaseNamesOptions options, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at MongoDB.Driver.MongoClient.UsingImplicitSessionAsync[TResult](Func`2 funcAsync, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at TenantMongoDb.Api.MongoDbTools.CreateDatabase(String connectionString, String databaseName, Boolean clobber) in E:\GitHub\daciertech\carbon\src\CarbonEntities\TenantMongoDb.Api\MongoDbTools.cs:line 24

The code is (last line is line 24 of MongoDbTools.cs):

var settings = MongoClientSettings.FromConnectionString(connectionString);
            settings.ApplicationName = "Appname";
            settings.ServerApi = new ServerApi(ServerApiVersion.V1);
            settings.UseTls = true;
            settings.SdamLogFilename = @"sdam.log";
            var client = new MongoClient(settings);
            var dbNames = (await client.ListDatabaseNamesAsync().ConfigureAwait(false)).ToList();

The sdam.log file is empty.

The connection string that works is:

mongodb+srv://<username>:<password>@jvcluster.wcszc.mongodb.net/?retryWrites=true&w=majority

The connection string that fails is:

mongodb+srv://<username>:<password>@tenantserverless.dsets.mongodb.net/?retryWrites=true&w=majority

What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

Hi @John_Vottero1 and welcome in the MongoDB Community :muscle: !

It might be a problem with the .NET driver. Can you try the latest version (aka 2.16.0 at the moment) and confirm you still have the problem?

I think it was fixed by CSHARP-3947.

Cheers,
Maxime.

2 Likes

Thanks! Upgrading to 2.16.0 resolved the issue.

2 Likes

Oh I like the sound of that :grin:

This topic was automatically closed 5 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.