Can't Install Compass - Squirrel Update Fails

Hi,

I’m trying to install Compass on my Windows Laptop - version 1.15.4 (Stable)

The installer runs, but then fails when it tries to run a file name SquirrelSetup.exe - the errors in the logfile for this being initially:

2018-03-25 18:50:57> Program: Starting Squirrel Updater: --install .
2018-03-25 18:50:57> Program: Starting install, writing to C:\Users\atindle\AppData\Local\SquirrelTemp
2018-03-25 18:50:57> Program: About to install to: C:\Users\atindle\AppData\Local\Postman
2018-03-25 18:50:57> CheckForUpdateImpl: Couldn’t write out staging user ID, this user probably shouldn’t get beta anything: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path ‘C:\Users\atindle\AppData\Local\Postman\packages.betaId’.
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.FileStream…ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.StreamWriter.CreateFile(String path, Boolean append, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.StreamWriter…ctor(String path, Boolean append, Encoding encoding, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.File.InternalWriteAllText(String path, String contents, Encoding encoding, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.File.WriteAllText(String path, String contents, Encoding encoding)
at Squirrel.UpdateManager.CheckForUpdateImpl.getOrCreateStagedUserId()
2018-03-25 18:50:57> CheckForUpdateImpl: Failed to load local releases, starting from scratch: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path ‘C:\Users\atindle\AppData\Local\Postman\packages\RELEASES’.
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
at System.IO.FileStream…ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)
at Squirrel.Utility.LoadLocalReleases(String localReleaseFile)
at Squirrel.UpdateManager.CheckForUpdateImpl.d__2.MoveNext()

but with a lot of other errors aftger this also.

Hits on this error message recommend disablement of AV software - however, I’m running on a company laptop and don’t have the ability to do this.

Any ideas ?

Thanks
Andrew

Hello,

I am having the same issue. I can not download/install MongoDB Compass. It appears to be a text file. Can you please fix the issue or let us know what to do to get it resolved?

I know this is an old thread, but I encountered something similar. I got a SquirrelSetup.log file with messages like the above, but in my case I think this was the important one.

System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The specified executable is not a valid application for this OS platform.

I tried installing Compass on two devices both running Windows 10 home edition. One failed with the above error, this was a laptop with a x64 based processor but a 32 bit operating system. The other succeeded, this was my main desktop with x64 based processor and 64 bit operating system. I concluded that both the processor and the operating system need to be 64 bit in order to install Compass.