BI Connector not showing arrays in Tableau

We connected Tableau desktop to MongoDB using the BI connector, and some of the fields are showing in Tableau but not array fields. How can we view array fields in Tableau?

2 Likes

I am also facing same problem and few other fields are not getting into the tableau.

@Lavanya_Gunnam - this could be from your data sampling and not picking up the array. Is your database on-prem or Atlas?

If you are using the BI Connector, the BI Connector usually takes all arrays and presents them as separate, child tables within Tableau.

If you are using Atlas, you can try out our new Tableau Connector that is in preview as that could provide better results for surfacing your document data. https://www.mongodb.com/docs/atlas/data-federation/query/sql/tableau/connect/

@Alexi_Antonino
My database Atlas.
I am experiencing an issue while trying to upload a DRDL file into Tableau using the MongoDB BI Connector. Specifically, when connecting to MongoDB using the BI Connector, some data is missing, and I believe that uploading a DRDL file would solve this problem.

However, I am having trouble finding the “Upload” option for the DRDL file in the Tableau interface. I have followed the instructions provided in the Tableau documentation, but I still cannot locate the option. I have also checked that I am using the latest version of Tableau and the MongoDB BI Connector.

Could you please advise me on how to upload a DRDL file into Tableau using the MongoDB BI Connector, or let me know if there is another way to ensure that all data is correctly mapped when connecting to MongoDB?

@Lavanya_Gunnam - you do not upload the DRDL into Tableau. A few things to establish:

1. Are you using an Atlas instance or on-prem?
  2. Only the on-prem BI Connector supports a DRDL configuration, the hosted (Atlas) BI Connector does not support users setting/changing the mapping for the relational schema

As mentioned in my previous reply, if you are on Atlas and you are using Tableau, you can use the new custom Tableau Connector with Atlas SQL. Atlas SQL does allow you to view and set your SQL schema.