Best Practices for Managing Server Storage with MongoDB

Hello everyone,

I am currently working on a project that involves using MongoDB as our primary database system. As our data continues to grow, we are starting to experience increased server storage (Data Center Products & Services | Best Providers | Lenovo Deutschland) usage, and we’re looking for some guidance on how to optimize our storage usage.

I’m interested in hearing from the MongoDB community about best practices for managing server storage with MongoDB. Specifically, I have the following questions:

• What are some recommended strategies for identifying and cleaning up unnecessary data that’s taking up storage space in our MongoDB database?
  • Are there any recommended settings or configurations we should consider to minimize storage usage, such as compression or index optimization?
  • What are some tools or utilities available that can help us monitor our storage usage, identify potential issues, and proactively manage storage needs?
  • How can we plan for future storage needs as our data continues to grow and evolve?

Any advice or suggestions you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance for your help!

You can do some research if haven’t yet as answering those questions will be comprehensive and take a significant amount of effort.

Many related articles can be found online (e.g. official manual), but my two cents.

1. compression or index optimization, this is already done by default.
  2. for tools: a lot mentioned in official doc.
  3. for future growth, do sharding.

I personally don’t worry too much about storage optimization, as a prod ready database system is supposed to be smart enough to manage disk use on its own. So i generally only follow guidelines from official doc and monitoring, then that’s it.