Autocomplete search index doesn't return documents when trying search tester

I got a collection of only three documents. I want to use the autocomplete functionality on the “name” field of my documents. This is the structure of the documents:

{
      "_id": {
         "$oid": "61897bb2747e2cb1f0f55f4d"
      },
      "genre": ["Platforms", "Aventure"],
      "languages": ["Spanish", "English"],
      "name": "mario bros",
      "ageCategory": "A - (Todo publico)",
      "releaseDate": {
         "$date": {
            "$numberLong": "1223769600000"
         }
      },
      "synopsis": "El mejor videojuego del mundo",
      "createdAt": {
           "$numberLong": "1632533182852"
         }
      },
      "updatedAt": {
            "$numberLong": "1632533182852"
          }
      },
      "__v": {
         "$numberInt": "0"
      },
     "platforms": ["PC", "Nintendo Wii", "X-box 360"]
   }

This one’s name is “mario bros”. The others are “Hallo” and “candy crush”.

So I created the search index with the JSON editor, following this tutorial on the MongoDB youtube channel: Building an Autocomplete Form Element with Atlas Search and JavaScript - YouTube

And this was the result:

{
  "mappings": {
    "dynamic": false,
    "fields": {
       "name": [
          {
            "foldDiacritics": false,
            "maxGrams": 7,
            "minGrams": 3,
            "tokenization": "edgeGram",
            "type": "autocomplete"
          }
       ]
    }
  }
}

The index was created successfully, but when I tried “mario” and “Hallo”, no documents were returned.

Also, when I click on View Query Syntax, I get this:

[
  {
    $search: {
      index: 'default',
      text: {
         query: 'mario',
         path: {
           'wildcard': '*'
         }
      }
    }
  }
]

I was expecting the value of “path” to be “name”. I dont’ know if it has something to do with my problem.

I also tried creating indexes with the View editor and it worked once but never again (I remember seeing something like 0.6 of score but I don’t even remember which term I searched). I’ve tried setting minGrams to 4, as I remember reading somewhere in the docs that it was the recommended number, and setting maxGrams to a higher number (15 and 20), just to see if the result was different, but nothing worked.

Did I set something wrong? Am I misunderstanding how Atlas Search or the autocomplete functionality work?

Hey there! You’ve done nothing wrong (on a quick look) - as it turns out, our Visual Search Tester only supports basic wildcard queries (like what you’re seeing in View Query Syntax). We are working quickly to build out the functionality of our Search Tester tool so that it works with more complex queries, but in the meantime I’d recommend using either Compass, the Aggregation Pipeline (on the Collections tab), or the Mongo Shell (sample directions here).

PS - we are doing a PAID user research study on the user interface for the new experience that works with more complex queries - let me know if you’d be interested :slight_smile: