Authentication error when connecting MongoDB to Visual Studio code through connection string

I created a cluster in MongoDB and I am trying to connect it to visual studio code. When in visual studio code I have the MongoDB extension and choose to create a connection. I have the connection string and when I enter the string and hit enter it gives me an authentication error. What is the reason for this error and why will it not make the connection.

An aufhentication error mean you have the wrong user name or password.

I gave the password in the password field and copied the connection URL from the connect option for VS Studio (where the URL already has my name), but it still shows an authentication error. Is there any way?

If you have the correct URL, the correct user name and the correct password then you should NOT have an authentication error. So you are doing something wrong. But with the little amount of details you shared it is impossible for any of us to tell you what you are doing wrong.

@Kurt_Pfeffer having the same problem. Have you found a solution?

mongodb+srv://:@cluster0.d2ncc.mongodb.net/

My problem was the allowed IP address list. I have to update mine or allow from anywhere

I am having a similar problem. Only my error states “URL malformed”, which I do not comprehend. As I literally copied the URL for connecting to VSC which was provided by mongodb. I changed the “password” to my password and pasted it. How on earth can the URL be malformed? Could it be that the program does not like the % sign, which I must use to replace the ! in my password?

Personally, I feel there should be a student option which does not require a password. I am completing my server-side development course @UCI because business analysts suddenly need to know how to build and run databases to attain an engagement. The coding part is not my hang up. It is connecting these programs to VSC that keeps tripping me up, consuming most of my time. Any tips or tricks?

I have the same problem,
IP whitelisted, user&password of course OK.
The extension fails to auth !!! HEEELP mongodb!