Atlas Search on Non atlas Hosting?

Wondering if the full text search on Atlas will remain as Atlas platform only facility or is it planned or already possible to use the full text search API in privately hosted clusters on Open stack cloud ?

Thanks
Pronab

2 Likes

Can you tell us more about your use case and your plans? We do not plan to offer Lucene on-premise at this time because of complexities associated with managing it. Is there a reason you require it on-premise?

Can you confirm that the Atlas Search feature will never be available on-premise, or at least not in a near future ? Our business environment has very strict security constraints, which imposes self hosting solutions, even if Atlas provides data encryption solutions.
In the feature request page, this possibility is marked as ‘under review’. But your last message implies that Atlas Search will never be fully available locally, is it right ? If so we have to find other solutions.

1 Like

I’m also wondering if Atlas Search will become available for deployment on other platforms than Atlas.
Let’s say we are using a managed MongoDB service delivered by another cloud provider. Will this other cloud provider be able to ever provide a managed MongoDB Search similar to or the same as Atlas Search?
Will you make it possible for other providers to host “Atlas Search” together with MongoDB?

Hi Bobby, I’d never say never: it’s a question of how we can continue the velocity that comes from our ability to uniquely deliver and iterate rapidly on evolving Atlas Search in Atlas; the game of shrink-wrap software requires a ton of ongoing focus to get right that would be a distraction from our focus to deliver value for where most of our customers are as efficiently as possible. On the flip side, we are committed to bringing the power of search to more of the SDLC and are open minded/aiming to be creative here. Care to share more details about where you’d like to run?

1 Like

Since we are in 2023… Is there any plan to offer to on-premisse? 90% of our customer are using in cloud with Atlas, but I can’t choose to use Atlas Search and ignore the 10% on-promisse.

1 Like

Hello everyone,

I’d like to join the ongoing discussion and express my interest in having the option to use Atlas Search on-premise.

In our organization, we operate a number of applications based on MongoDB, running on our own hosting. The primary reason for this is strict data privacy and security policies we must adhere to, necessitating control over our data and where it is stored.

I wish to emphasize that the possibility of using Atlas Search on-premise holds great significance for us. Atlas Search offers a range of features that would be very beneficial to our requirements, such as full-text search, numeric range search, geographic search, and faceted search. It significantly enhances the capabilities of data querying, and in our specific case, it could provide high value.

I understand and respect the complexities involved in providing Atlas Search on-premise, but I’m convinced that there are organizations like ours that would be ready and capable of tackling this challenge. It would be wonderful if MongoDB could provide support or even a separate solution for on-premise scenarios.

I hope this is taken into consideration, as Atlas Search on-premise, in our opinion, would bring substantial value to MongoDB and its users.

Thank you for your attention and for your continuous work on improving MongoDB.

Best Regards,
Elian

1 Like