Are the weekly scavenger Hunts still going on?

Are the weekly scavenger hunts that I see the old posts for still a thing that is happening? Thanks in advance and my apologies if this is posted in the wrong place.

Hi @Jason_Nutt,

The weekly scavenger hunts ran in April 2020 (Thanks for playing with us!) and we don’t have any ongoing hunts at the moment.

We recently ran some Trivia Challenges for Community Day in July.

Are you interested in the weekly challenge, the opportunity for stickers or swag, or both? The logistics of international shipping during a pandemic make incentives that don’t require shipping physical items much more appealing :slight_smile: .

What sort of activities or challenges would you like to see, and how often?

Regards,
Stennie

1 Like

I would love to be able to have challenges that test my ability to put in practice the skills I am supposed to be learning in MongoDB University, and actually challenge me to install and configure MongoDB and understand how mongod(the daemon process) works in real life in my own VSCode and connect to my atlas cluster and setup my dbpath, all of that project type building stuff. I figure if I am having this difficult of a time challenging myself to pass the labs then I may as well seek guidance in order to put it in actual practice. I’d do one every time you put it out but maybe once a week or bi-weekly if it was super challenging and had multiple parts to complete. I’m just trying to be as actively involved as I can. I’m hoping it doesn’t get on peoples nerves but I’m told the noisy wheel gets the grease and I don’t know until I ask so. Thank you very much for your active cultivation in this, what is becoming my favorite community! It’s appreciated. :heart_decoration:
Soooo, both, I’m interested in both the challenge and the SWAG! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @Jason_Nutt,

Thank you for your continued feedback and suggestions! One great way to improve your technical knowledge is by seeing if you are able to solve or explain other community member’s questions on the Community Forums or Stack Overflow.

I suggest creating some personal challenges based on community questions, for example:

• choose some Solved questions without looking at the answer and see if you can independently work out a Solution
  • pick some Unsolved questions that look approachable based on your experience and try to answer them
  • choose an Unsolved question that has something you’d like to learn

An important benefit of this approach is that you will be building your diagnostic and communication skills which will enable you to apply knowledge more effectively. There’s also a feedback loop with the other participants in community conversations.

In a traditional learning model like Bloom’s Taxonomy, you level up your knowledge starting with being able to recall facts before you are able to explain, apply, analyse, evaluate, and synthesise new knowledge.

Regards,
Stennie

3 Likes

This is great! I never would’ve thought to do that on my own. And I’m reading the GitHub - mongodb-developer/get-started-readme: Repository for meta files related to the quickstart code example series that you sent me in the response to my other post. I have been starving for direction before finding this place, so I really appreciate it. :green_heart:
And will not disappoint in giving back knowledge to those who follow in these footsteps. :books: :boom:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 5 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.