Arbiter Network configuration

Hi all,
I have a question on Arbiter Network configuration, Can I have the example of Arbiter Node IP confiuration that used differrent IP Subnet when I deploy in on the 3rd DC or onCloud. I just want to know among Arbiter and replica set can be deployed in deferrent IP subnet? Please kindly advise.

Thank you,

Deft.

1 Like

Hi @Chumnan_Pearpiw welcome to the community!

There’s no special requirements for an arbiter; they’re basically a node that helps with election voting, but do not store data like a normal secondary. Therefore all the requirements & recommendations put forth in the replica set connectivity page applies equally to secondaries as well as arbiters. Basically it boils down to: as long as all parts of a replica set can contact each other, it’s a valid configuration.

Having said that, if this is your first MongoDB deployment, I would bring your attention to possible performance issues with arbiters. MongoDB 5.0 changes the default write concern setting to “majority” from the old default of w:1 in the past. While considerations are still being made with the presence of arbiters, in many cases it’s best to use a normal secondary node since it provides you with much better consistency guarantees and availability.

Best regards
Kevin

2 Likes

Thank you Kevin, I’m new for MongoDB. What you said means now the arbiter is not reommended, right?

Yes. In most cases, arbiters are not recommended. It’s there if you absolutely need them, know what their drawbacks are, and can plan around any issues that may crop up with their use. A fully functioning secondary is much preferred, since it gives you much more flexibility, integrity, and high availability.

Best regards
Kevin

1 Like

Good to know and thank you. I will explore more on this.

This topic was automatically closed 5 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.