MongoDB Unveils MongoDB Stitch, the New Backend as a Service That Dramatically Simplifies Application Development
*MongoDB Stitch Helps Developers Quickly Build Modern Application Without The Need for Complex Backend Coding*
CHICAGO, IL, MongoDB World – June 20, 2017 – MongoDB, the database for giant ideas, today announced MongoDB Stitch, the company’s new backend as a service (BaaS) that lets developers easily compose external services to build great applications, without compromising on how they access their data. MongoDB Stitch provides a uniform, document-centric API to database operations and service integrations, and powerful, flexible access controls. With MongoDB Stitch, developers can focus on delivering rich user experiences and features rather than on operations or writing boilerplate code. "In recent years we've gotten a tantalizing glimpse into a world where developers can spend all their time writing the code that distinguishes their applications,” said Eliot Horowitz, CTO of MongoDB. “In this world, services become the building blocks of innovation, and the need to reimplement the same commodity components disappears completely. But the mere existence of services isn't enough, because there is still the drudgery of tying those services together, implementing tricky but essential access control, and of course managing data. MongoDB Stitch removes those barriers and gives developers the tools they need to build ground-breaking applications with less friction than ever before."
As application and user interface logic continues to move into the front-end, the remaining backend is often dominated by “plumbing” to handle storing and retrieving data, security, data privacy, or integrating and composing various services. MongoDB Stitch provides developers with a simple way to handle all these routine tasks including working with their data, controlling data access, and orchestrating commonly used services - from authentication, through payments, messaging and more. Developers can choose from a number of pre-built integrations with their favorite services including Google, Facebook, AWS, Twilio, Slack, MailGun and PubNub. Additional cloud or microservices can be added easily using the Stitch HTTP service, giving developers all the flexibility they need. Initially available with the cloud database service MongoDB Atlas, MongoDB Stitch lets developers focus on application code that innovates.
“Empowering developers is the core of what we do at Twilio," said Patrick Malatack, VP of Product at Twilio. "We want developers to spend more time innovating, which is why we're looking forward to MongoDB Stitch integrating directly with Twilio's messaging APIs."
- Faster, higher-value application development - Developers can focus on the frontend application logic and user experience, creating higher-value, differentiated applications faster and with more of the features users need.
- All the benefits of MongoDB - Unlike other backend offerings, MongoDB Stitch retains the full power and scalability of MongoDB - whether using your existing database or starting from scratch. Initially available with new or existing MongoDB Atlas clusters, MongoDB Stitch will expand to support any MongoDB database.
- Security and privacy - Simplifies security and privacy through configurable data access controls and integration with authentication providers.
- Flexibility - Presents a single API to the MongoDB database and the other services that modern applications depend on, without locking developers into services from a single vendor.
- Simplified operations - Manages backend infrastructure and the lower layers of the application stack, with the MongoDB Atlas database service and the other service integrations handled by MongoDB Stitch.
- Safely share existing MongoDB data with new apps - Safely exposes selected fields from an existing database to a new application. New apps can add additional data to the same database.
- Scalable - Supports an application's capacity and performance needs as requirements grow. Get started for free, and then pay only for what is needed as business demands grow.
"Developers today want platforms that maximize convenience and minimize back end coding, with managed services for functions like user-based access," said James Governor, analyst and co-founder of RedMonk. "MongoDB Stitch is a backend as a service platform designed to make it easier than ever for developers to build rich and secure apps."
MongoDB Stitch is initially available in public beta release with the cloud database service MongoDB Atlas. For more information visit www.mongodb.com/cloud/stitch.
“MongoDB Stitch has huge potential to streamline the development process for integrating with third party services and REST-like end-points,” said Charles Nelson, Developer at OK GROW!. “The ability to separate some or all of an app's logic, authentication, authorization, and processing from the primary servers opens up a world of possibilities that is both exciting and refreshing. I am looking forward to spending more time testing with MongoDB Stitch and seeing the interesting projects we can build with it.”
- Read the documentation and explore sample apps for MongoDB Stitch.
- Register today for the “Introduction to MongoDB Stitch” webinar.
- Thousands of developers are joining now at MongoDB World, the world’s largest MongoDB user conference in Chicago. Tune in to the keynote live streams here.
- Follow MongoDB on LinkedIn and @MongoDB on Twitter.
By offering the best of traditional databases as well as the flexibility, scale and performance today’s applications require, we let innovators deploy apps as big as they can possibly dream. From startups to enterprises, for the modern and the mission-critical, MongoDB is the database for giant ideas. For more information, visit www.mongodb.com.