Man AHL is a quantitive investment manager with more than $17.9 billion in assets under management as of September 2015.
Quality and timely data is vital for the firms quantitative researchers – or “quants” – who research, construct and deploy new trading models in order to understand how markets behave.
Man AHL's older relational database technologies were proving too rigid and inflexible for the complex research the quants wanted to perform. To solve this problem, the financial services firm replaced a range of traditional technologies with a single platform built on MongoDB for every type of financial market data.
The results have been astounding. The tick store build on MongoDB has:
- Reduced disk storage by 40%
- Cut costs 40x
- Improved tick data throughput 25x
All of which makes the quants' job simpler, easier and faster. Or as Man AHL's co-CTO Gary Collier put it: “Happy developers. Happy accountants.”
Find out more about MongoDB at Man AHL:
- MongoDB: A Single Platform for All Financial Data at AHL
- Quantitative Investment Manager Man AHL to Open Source its MongoDB Powered Tick Store that Improved Processing Performance by 25x
- View the Github repo for Man AHL's Time Series Tick store, Arctic
Learn more about how database selection can transform your company: