Vancouver MongoDB User Group (VanMUG) - Conversations - From Green Runs to Double Black Diamonds

Vancouver MongoDB User Group (VanMUG) - Conversations - From Green Runs to Double Black Diamonds

Are you new to MongoDB and wondering if there’s life after SQL (green run)? Or, are you a grizzled MongoDB DBA (double black diamond) looking to share your experiences? Either way, this is an ideal meet-up for you where we’re trying to attract both newcomers and experienced developers to share ideas, case studies and meet new people in the community.

Come join us for a casual conversation over drinks, appies or dinner. Space is limited so please RSVP.

Where?

Event Type: In-Person
Location: The Keg, Yaletown (1011 Mainland St, Vancouver, BC V6B 5P9)

7 Likes

Have you had these before? How many people tend to show up. Ex Oracle consultant new to Mongo DB/Realm

1 Like

Hey there, Ken! :smile: Nice to “meet” you!

As you can probably imagine, the pandemic kinda knocked the wind out of things in the MUG space, so I think we are still learning how many people tend to show up in these times. :slight_smile:

But here’s a group photo and wrap up of our social event from earlier this summer Vancouver MUG: MongoDB User Group Re-Boot Social Gathering! - #5 by webchick which had 7 of us in attendance.

If you can make it, we would love to have you!

1 Like

I am used to the old Oracle events…a bit larger :smile:…I will try and make it if I can. I can remember back in the 80’s/90’s when consultants dealing with relational DB’s could meet in a closet with room to spare.
While I have your attention, a question about Realm. Is there anyone local who is sufficiently knowledgeable to be able to help me update an ObservedRealmObject? I posted my question in the community but haven’t heard anything back…yet.
It appears that am trying to deal with a frozen object that is fed by an enum

1 Like

Hi Ken -

I think we worked together back in the 90s at BC Tel Mobility! Hope all is well.

Yes, the group has been together for many years but we were dormant during covid and just getting back to regular meetings (likely quarterly). We’ve done technical sessions, case studies, debriefs from MongoDB World (annual conference), etc.

If you’re new to MongoDB, I think you will find the gatherings fairly useful. We’re trying to take a less formal and more social approach to the meetings going forward. Everyone is quite friendly and it will likely be a small group (<20).

I can’t answer your Realm question but there’s a chance someone at the event would know.

Hope to see you there.

Mark

2 Likes

Hi @Ken_Turnbull,

I moved your Realm Swift question from the more general Working with Data category to the Realm category for better visibility.

I’m not sure if there will be someone at the Vancouver event with relevant knowledge of Realm + Swift, but there should certainly be someone online who can help.

Sometimes questions can take a bit longer to be noticed by the right experts, so bumping with an update after a few quiet weekdays may help resurface the discussion. I’ll look for someone who can help with your question.

Regards,
Stennie

3 Likes

I think that I will try and attend. So put me in with a pencil.

3 Likes